HP-1000 loan (don't make me beg!)

hungrych

I really just want to hear these, there's been so much frustration for me revolving around them, and I've never even heard them. It seems every time I try to get to a meet where they'll be I manage to be forced to miss out, so if anyone could give me a loan I'd be really greatful. I'll pay shipping etc both ways if necessary.

Thanks! :)

i might let you once i get them back permanently and i get reacquainted with the sound. i'm not sure when that will be, though, as Grand Enigma is waiting on wire. how about you cross ship me one of you A-Ts so that i have phones to use while you have mine?

I don't suppose I could convince you to let me give them a try as well. ;D Please. ;D I don't mind begging if I have too. ;D;)

They are pretty much the only top-tier headphone I haven't heard yet besides the HE60s.

• 2 weeks later...

Very true...but I still got another year left, and then it's off to medical school. So more loans! I really have to get to a meet sometime and give them a listen.

They suck at meets. Or so I've heard from the last meet I went to. Pretty much everyone that heard mine said they weren't up to par with a pair of headphile MS2i's with c-pads. Though, depending on what you like, it could be true.

So in 10 years you'll be able to buy them for $3k no prblem...

Haha that's true. I guess I should have something to look forward to, hehe.

They suck at meets. Or so I've heard from the last meet I went to. Pretty much everyone that heard mine said they weren't up to par with a pair of headphile MS2i's with c-pads. Though, depending on what you like, it could be true.

What is it that makes them suck at meets? I really haven't heard too many grados, but of the ones I have, I found them all too fatiguing for me. I listen mainly to metal, so it would seem that I would like them, but the K271S's are doing great for me. I'm looking towards maybe getting a Stax 404 system sometime.

What is it that makes them suck at meets? I really haven't heard too many grados, but of the ones I have, I found them all too fatiguing for me. I listen mainly to metal, so it would seem that I would like them, but the K271S's are doing great for me. I'm looking towards maybe getting a Stax 404 system sometime.

Well the meet was held at a coffee shop, which had it's own background music going on. It's just harder to hear the neutrality of the HP-1000s than it is to hear the bass of the MS2i without it being quietish

Oh okay I see. I was actually going to ask if the ambient noise around was the main issue as to why everyone thought that they weren't that great. Would be nice to hear in a quieter place, hopefully a meet I attend sometime in the future is like that.

Oh okay I see. I was actually going to ask if the ambient noise around was the main issue as to why everyone thought that they weren't that great. Would be nice to hear in a quieter place, hopefully a meet I attend sometime in the future is like that.

Typically the smaller the meet the less noise there is. I can only imagine what the national meet is going to be like.

Man I wish I had a really nice pair of cans so that I could get a stab at listening to a pair of HP-1's. Definitely my dream cans but my college budget is always killing my chance of ever attaining one.

Have you considered robbing a bank? My sources in the industry tell me that you have at least a 90-95% chance of getting away clean unless you do something stupid like robbing the branch where you're a regular customer.

Serious answer? There must be someone in your area who owns a pair of HP-1's. Find that person and see if you can arrange a mini-meet. That's how I got hear the PS-1.

Have you considered robbing a bank? My sources in the industry tell me that you have at least a 90-95% chance of getting away clean unless you do something stupid like robbing the branch where you're a regular customer.

Serious answer? There must be someone in your area who owns a pair of HP-1's. Find that person and see if you can arrange a mini-meet. That's how I got hear the PS-1.

Hehe, there's a group on facebook at my university that says "Fuck college, let's rob a bank." Reminded me of that.

I'm sure there's someone in the Chicago area with an HP-1 that I could maybe meet up with sometime. Problem is that I'm so busy with school that I just don't have time for much life outside of the campus, except for the one to two visits to downtown Chicago with my friends once a quarter. I should really think about that option though...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It took me a while to appreciate the HP1000. I had heard Oski's at a mini meet and while I liked the Grado goodness, I far preferred my PS-1. Later on, I actually had an HP2 in my apt for a few hours and when I listened to them, only confirmed that I didn't understand what the big deal was.

Still, it didn't prevent me from buying an HP1 because (1) I was lacking a good Grado since I sold the PS-1 and (2) I'm just a sucker for switches. But then I actually started listening to the HP1, it just sucked me in. The perceived lack of transparency, disappeared. They gradually became clear and a true and detailed representation of what the source material had to offer.

The HP1000 has truly found its place in my collection of headphones. The HP1 won't be going for sale.

My second HP2 on the other hand.... ;D

Best,

-Jason