Stargate Universe

MoonShine

I actually liked the other Stargates (not Atlantis so much). I was afraid of SGU being Stargate 90210 / Degrassi. But I like the darker tone. It's risking the Voyager demise of never evolving the story because if they find a way home, story's over.

I've sporadically enjoyed SG-1 over the years. Atlantis turned me off instantly. I've watched all of SGU in the hope that it would be SG's answer to BSG, as it's clearly intended to be. It's been a mixed bag so far. Whereas BSG exploded my brain episode after episode, SGU often merely feeds my brain Chef Boyardee. I will say though that it has picked up since the start of S02.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

After nearly a year of prodding by my brother about this show, my wife & I decided to catch up with season 1 via Netflix streaming (way cool now that the PS3 doesn't require a disc!), and jumped into with season 2 this Fall. I must say that, although none of the previous Stargate franchises caught more than a passing glance from me, this latest series has both of us totally hooked. Honestly, there is not so much original here. But it is packaged very well, and the human quality is engaging.

Now that it is off for a few weeks/months mid-season, we recently marathoned the Firefly series. My wife had never seen it, but is a Nathan Fillion fan from Castle, so it was an easy sell. Whedon's production held up as well as I remembered it. Next, I may introduce her to Farscape (my personal fav).

• 5 months later...

Overall, a relatively satisfying pseudo-ending. Not tying everything up neatly with a bow, and definitely leaving things open-ended enough for possible pickup later. I like that the characters gain permanent injuries & scars throughout their travels. I wouldn't have minded seeing more Lt. James, but other than that, it was cool. What did you all think?

My personal take on the very last scene showing Eli on the observation deck where he seems to have an epiphany, is that rather than repair the last broken suspended animation chamber, he decides to inject his consciousness into Destiny's system via "the chair" so that he can spend eternity (or at least the next three years) with Ginn.