USB DAC or USB to SPDIF Converter - recommendations

faust3d

I have been playing with idea of hooking up my netbook to my main system to play some FLAC files and WAV CD Rips that I got floating around. Most of them are HQ LP and CD rips of stuff that I can't find in any other format and that are rare as hens teeth. Burning them to CD is a nuance and I want to just play them using Foobar2000 feeding my DAC or just straight into a preamp. Not sure which way to go or what device to use.

Do any of you use something like this? Have any suggestions?

Yup, I've used this in the past.

M-Audio Transit Sound card - 96 kHz - 24-bit

But now I just run slim server on the netbook and use the SB3, it's easier to control.

Looks like a nice way to hooked it up. Is it well made, looks a bit cheap and plasticy. I figure for $80 it's basic and will do the job just fine, but want to see if there are any potential issues. My DAC has optical and SPDIF so I can have my CDP on SPDIF and use optical for this guy.

I use the Trends UD-10.1 for just this role. I bought it for the multitude of outputs which is perfect for my gearwhoring but it works perfectly.

same.

I also do have the musiland usd, and though I've never bothered to really compare the two, I probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference (though supposedly the musiland is async... supposedly...)

I have kept the Trends for same reason as spritzer: every output choice possible.

I will probably go with this or the M2Tech Hiface, still haven't decided yet.

I looked up M2Tech Hiface and don't like the construction, seems to put a lot of stress on the USB port, box with cables attached looks like a better choice for me since I have very limited space on my rack.

same.

I also do have the musiland usd, and though I've never bothered to really compare the two, I probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference (though supposedly the musiland is async... supposedly...)

I have kept the Trends for same reason as spritzer: every output choice possible.

Trends does look nice, any issues with Windows 7?

I used to have the Trends, then upgraded to the HiFace. The HiFace sounds noticeably better, but I do agree that the form factor is a bit wonky. In terms of async USB converters, it's still one the best bargains out there however.

I used to have the Trends, then upgraded to the HiFace. The HiFace sounds noticeably better, but I do agree that the form factor is a bit wonky. In terms of async USB converters, it's still one the best bargains out there however.

What aspects do you find to be better?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Folks, sorry for resurrecting old thread. I recently sold my Bladelius Embla transport after some friend gave me an offer I couldnt resist. It's kind of revelation to me since I hate Embla user GUI vs computer player like foobar. Anyway, now I'm using Acer tablet (fanless) with SSD dock to Trends Audio UD10.1 with DIY battery pack connected to Neko and to BHSE. I have left out computer system since I have my Embla for almost 2 years.

I'm looking at a better USB-SPDIF converter than the Trends Audio , been looking at Audiophilleo 2 (w/battery pack) or ART Legato. K3ct have Legato which I plan to try soon, but havent try any Audiophilleo. So folks, any advise or maybe just stick with my current converter? Im a bit skeptic when comes to the usefulness of this gizmo outside from converting digital usb to digital audio, but I'm not expert.....Thanks in advance.....