i'm on a roll... the kgsshv

kevin gilmore

So for whatever reason a number of different projects are coming together at the same time.

This is the latest.

http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/kgsshv.jpg

Its the high voltage version of the kgss with higher voltage pnp transistors, a cascode current

source for the 3rd stage, the lsk389 part (or singles) and much higher voltage output transistors.

The result is something that runs on +/-500 volt power supplies, and is as close as i know how

to do to the T2. (except fully solid state, and easy to build)

The transistors that go on the heatsinks are already insulated, which makes that part easy.

Not a lot more money than an exstata, and much better sound.

So do i make it a single box, Do i make it a two box affair with the power supply in a seperate

box... What are people interested in??

• Like 2

No way CJ preview. No box for the amp. NO BOX FOR THE POWER SUPPLY.

1 killovolt flying around with enough energy storage to kill.

Sort of like the BHSE prototype i have, only much more dangerous.

I'm not going to even supply pictures because i do not want to encourage

this kind of behaviour. :D

The company supplying insurance for the meet would probably go non-linear.

Overengineered? I would never do such a thing.

Headphone amps are supposed to weigh at least 50 lbs right?

Edited by kevin gilmore

They don't gotta know. And who insures at RMAF? There's some insane things going on at that show, if I'm thinking of the right one.

And couldn't you rewire it (I.E. add resistors in crucial places) so that it travels effectively discharged, and then take the resistors out when you get there?

2 boxes it is

http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/kgsshvamp.jpg

board is 11.0 x 6.975 inches designed to fit in a box 11.2 x 7.0 inches inside with

.25 thick front and rear panels.

i have the dact in there as the pot because the rk50 would cost more than the rest

of it combined.

power supply hopefully the same exact size.

What other pot should i add...

I have actually cleaned up the house a serious amount...

All i have left is 30 of the heatsinks. Soon i will be taking those to

work. All the T2 chassis parts will be packaged and leave from work.

So no more 600+ lbs of aluminum stashed everywhere.

You can swap out the parts on your KGSS to turn it into the high voltage version.

You can leave the resistors at the top of the 3rd stage, or build the current sources

on addin boards... The original kgss design is TEN years old... maybe a bit more.

Edited by kevin gilmore

You can swap out the parts on your KGSS to turn it into the high voltage version.

You can leave the resistors at the top of the 3rd stage, or build the current sources

on addin boards... The original kgss design is TEN years old... maybe a bit more.

So I could build one of these with the set of boards from Justin I have on order?

Yes you can certainly change the part values and add the current sources as outboard devices on justin's board.

In fact that is exactly what my prototype is. Power supply is obviously different.

The pot i was talking about was the input pot. Something that is available. Like the rk25, or some such, because

evidently the rk50 is soon to be discontinued.

Starting on the schematic now.

first cut at the schematic

http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/kgsshv.pdf

The boards definitely will fit together in one chassis

http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/kgsshvamp.jpg

http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/kgsshvps.jpg

depending on the thickness of the transformer which will mount to the back panel

i'm pretty sure that if you do it as one box, it sends up 14 across by 11 deep with

1 inch between the 2 boards.

I might have to make it a bit longer to accomidate the transformer.

Yup, but they won't work in my KGSS chassis. The problem is the thick aluminum I used for the front panel (10mm+4mm spacer) so the pots just aren't long enough to mount a knob to them. I might modify the front panel by cutting out a 45mm hole in the front panel but with such a thick panel it isn't an easy thing to do (plus the center hole is too large for the center drill of the cutting bit). I did fit one of the Alpha pots instead of the RK27 and it was a pleasant upgrade.

One of the smaller TKD's has been fitted in the Stax SRM-Xh as I'm making the amp fully balanced and I'm upgrading the PSU. Tiny, fully balanced, fully discrete electrostatic amp FTMFW!! :)

Edited by spritzer