i'm on a roll... the kgsshv

kevin gilmore

• 2 weeks later...
Which is best? Linear LSK389-C TO71 (metal can) or Toshiba 2SK389-GR?

They will all work well for the front end, it's not picky in terms of Idss. I'm guessing Kevin won't support the Toshiba parts on his PCB, so that leaves the Linear Systems parts. I believe the A parts show less noise. There was an article in AudioExpress than confirms this, if my memory holds.

There is no fixed date for any of this and we are still working on making this project as idiot proof as is possible for something this nuts.

Do you mean reasonably idiot proof or head-fi proof? :D [/couldn't resist]

I'm thinking I'll build it when it's ready even though I don't currently own an O2.

I really want to use 2SA1968LS for the current sources. Then the entire amp would be isolated parts. Way easier.

AND 100% head-fi proof. Even trevornetwork could build one and get it to work first time. (complete with plexiglass chassis)

With ONsemi recently purchasing sanyo semiconductor, who knows what is going to happen. Not going to

make boards that go instantly obsolete. I could use ixys parts instead. I may have to. Plus there are other

things throwing monkey wrenches into stuff. If anyone in japan can help...

My good friend Jeff who is the supplier of the vehicle necessary to take 400 lbs of aluminum to the polisher...

His mother of 90 years passed away last night at 7:40. So i'm going to be another week late on that.

Maybe longer. At least 8 of the T2 chassis are fully finished, and the last 4 will be as soon as more

top/bottom material shows up. Speaking of which,

I ordered a bunch of .25 inch material for the kgsshv chassis. .5 inch material showed up, and the wrong kind

of aluminum in addition, so that has to go back and try again.

I understand why justin is late on a lot of stuff. And he is doing at least 25 times the stuff per week that i am.

I'm off to pick up a very special package from japan courtesy of someone with a heart as big as all of iceland. :D

Edited by kevin gilmore

thanks kevin. I take it as there will be multiple call for group buy ranging from say board, psu, casing and other components? CMIIW

I believe they are going the board mounted heatsink route so there should be no need for a chassis group buy.

Though I could probably never build one, I'm still interested in seeing the solid state version of the T2 come to fruition :)

Edited by deepak

We will cover most of the common pitfalls but if you can manage to cram the right parts in the right spots then the amp will function. The same holds true for the normal KGSS.

As for a chassis, basically anything which will fit the boards/transformer/attenuator works. The Hi-fi2000 cases are cheap and look ok.