i'm on a roll... the kgsshv

kevin gilmore

Check this light out. Park Avenue High-Power LED Outdoor Light Bar : Wall Washers I just ordered one for the work area in my garage. Its available in warm white, which could be anything from 2700k to 3000k.

If you can throw two 6 inch can assemblies up, the Cree CR-6 or LR-6 would be great and half the price. The quality of light from the Crees is astounding. I have six in my kitchen and its just unbelievable how comfortable the light is.

John

If you put them a little higher than i did, and space them every 3 feet, then you still need 10 of them.

But it will really light the bench up.

Thanx Guys!

Interesting stuff here.

As I'm sure most of you guys know, once you hit 40+,if you weren't some kinda light freak before, you'll become one soon.

I remember my Dad going nutz complaining about this when I was a lot younger. I thought man, he's goin' crazy here. I would say once I hit 45 lighting became a real issue and I now look in the mirror and hear my Dad complaining about the Light!

As I'm sure most of you guys know, once you hit 40+,if you weren't some kinda light freak before, you'll become one soon.

I'm 56.6 years old and i need MOAR light. LOTS MOAR LIGHT. The reason is to get better focus, and that's only possible

with the retina closed down. Even so, i now build stuff under a light magnifier, and use jewlers glasses. Its no joke.

I'm going on to 62.5 years.

I am short-sighted and could hold things to within an inch of my eyeball, even when I was 50, and could see it with perfect clarity.

Now, there's a point about eight inches away which is in focus, and forward or back of that becomes blurred rather rapidly.

I praise modern plastic lenses, for without them I would have to wear the bottoms of coke bottles.

I'm going on to 62.5 years.

I am short-sighted and could hold things to within an inch of my eyeball, even when I was 50, and could see it with perfect clarity.

Now, there's a point about eight inches away which is in focus, and forward or back of that becomes blurred rather rapidly.

I praise modern plastic lenses, for without them I would have to wear the bottoms of coke bottles.

Yeah, it's a shame really. About the time we amass enough wisdom to do some good, we drop dead.

Youth is wasted on the young!

Yeah, it's a shame really. About the time we amass enough wisdom to do some good, we drop dead.

Youth is wasted on the young!

Well, I've worn specs since I was four, which is a cool half century ago now. Eyes went through some changes from 45 to 50 and have settled down again. Use the latest ultralight (read: ultraexpensive) varifocals, which are superb.

They're Borg terminals - you know, the Borg are villains from Star Trek the new generation.

They're shorted together.

The Borg's standard phrase for those who opposed them was "RESISTANCE IS FUTILE".

If you put you're mouse arrow over the picture, you should get a larger view of it.

It's a feeble attempt at humour. Some may appreciate it....

They're Borg terminals - you know, the Borg are villains from Star Trek the new generation.

They're shorted together.

The Borg's standard phrase for those who opposed them was "RESISTANCE IS FUTILE".

If you put you're mouse arrow over the picture, you should get a larger view of it.

It's a feeble attempt at humour. Some may appreciate it....

This explanation bring to mind an incident in which a Navy technician killed himself with a 9 volt battery: Resistance is Futile (link).

Since more than a few users building KGSSHV might be dealing with high voltages for the first time, this text from Miles Prower (diyaudio user) seems quite enlightening: Electrical Safety (link).

This explanation bring to mind an incident in which a Navy technician killed himself with a 9 volt battery: Resistance is Futile (link).

Since more than a few users building KGSSHV might be dealing with high voltages for the first time, this text from Miles Prower (diyaudio user) seems quite enlightening: Electrical Safety (link).

Indeed - the combination of high DC voltage (around 1000V from + to - rails) and high current (many tens of mA) is quite lethal if between one hand and the opposite, or one hand to the opposite foot when the current runs across the chest. Across a single hand, say from palm to finger, it is bloody uncomfortable and gives quite a fright (experience of years of fiddling with tubed gear). So for anyone that is new to dealing with this sort of thing PLEASE read up (as suggested above) about the techniques of building and testing such gear safely, or at least non-lethally. And don't work on it when tired - that is when most dangerous errors happen.

The warnings about high voltage with significant amounts of energy storage are very real.

This power supply has more storage at more voltage than a heart defibrillator.

The story on the guy with the voltmeter is complete and utter bullshit. For one thing

the simpson 260, of which i have 2 brand new in the box uses a total of 1 x 1.5 volt D cell.

The older ones have 2 x 1.5 volt D cells. The maximum amount of current this meter can deliver

on the low ohms range is about 1 ma. This is not enough to kill no matter how hard

you try. On many of the DVM's however, there is a 9 volt battery, but once again these

work on a current source principle, and even on the low ohms range the maximum

current is 1 ma with a 1 volt maximum. 5 volt maximum on the diodes range.

The best rule on this is insulated shoes, and one hand behind your back at all times.

Safety glasses also a real good idea.

The story on the guy with the voltmeter is complete and utter bullshit. For one thing

the simpson 260, of which i have 2 brand new in the box uses a total of 1 x 1.5 volt D cell.

Agreed. If it were possibly to kill yourself with a 9V battery, there would be hazard warnings all over such batteries and they would come with shrouded terminals.

Imagine the lethality of a 12V car battery! That would drive enough current through you to vapourise your head instantly :nate:

Those can actually put some serious current through your body! I'm always very cautious when dealing with my car's battery.

Auto electrician buddy always warned me to be REALLY careful when you remove a battery. If a spanner or screwdriver makes good contact across the terminals it will give quite a good show.

Auto electrician buddy always warned me to be REALLY careful when you remove a battery. If a spanner or screwdriver makes good contact across the terminals it will give quite a good show.

Very true, I have a wrench that has a dimple in it from when it dropped and bridged the terminals.

For sure. The stored energy in a car battery is huge, and its current capability huge - easily 400 to 1000A without breaking sweat when you start your car, each day, every day. The stored energy in a 60Ah battery is 60 x 3600 x 12 = 2.6MJ - about three hand grenade's worth. Hence my flippant comment on vapourising your head.

But that does not mean that they are dangerous from an electrical shock point of view under normal circumstances. The skin-skin resistance is typically in the tens to hundreds of k-ohms, so currents from a 12V source are tiny and no problem.

The internal resistance of the human body however is around 500 ohms (ie not counting the skin). So if you pierced the skin deeply on opposite hands with electrodes to get direct electrical access to the internal wet stuff, and connected them on a car battery you could in principle drive 24mA through your heart, which is enough to give you a really serious problem. You'd have to try pretty damned hard though, and have real determination to do this. And you'd deserve what you got. There are many and various ways to kill yourself with a car, but electrocution with the battery is not high on the list of causes of vehicular mortality.

But a DMM? With <1mA output current? No way.

A much surer way to exit this mortal coil is to lose track of where your hands are when working on an big and ugly electrostatic headphone amp. Or the internals of an old generation tubed Tektronix scope, or the inside of a tubed power amp for speakers....

Neither do i, but i fake it real good.

I wish i had taken pictures of the high voltage flyback testing setup that

zenith radio had 30 years ago. 6 inches of foam, 1 inch of plywood all

off the floor, workbench and everything on the plywood, no grounds anywhere,

all test gear isolated with massive isolation transformers rated for 75kv...

I'm glad i never had to mess with that setup.

I wish i had taken pictures of the high voltage flyback testing setup that

zenith radio had 30 years ago.

Yeesh. Sounds a bit like a carbon dioxide TEA (Transverly Excited Atmospheric pressure) laser that I built back in the 70's. Machined all the bits myself, and it was a real lethal set up. The capacitor bank was two metal plates with screw clamps holding hockey puck HT ceramic capacitors. Around 10nF total at 20kV. 2 Joules storage and completely lethal - just out on the bench. Early 20's then and immortal, you realise. Found out about dielectric recovery the hard way. Discharged the bank, unscrewed it and put it on the bench. Ten minutes later, picked it up (in one hand, luckily) and it had partially recharged itself. Got a hell of a belt. After that I left a shorting link in place when it was not in use to prevent a recurrence.