i'm on a roll... the kgsshv

kevin gilmore

They look legit, but the amp PCB is not set up for these; it is set up for the Linear Systems version in the TO-71 package, or pairs of 2SK170 singles.

http://www.linearsystems.com/datasheets/LSK389.pdf

Is there any way to bend the pins to fit the pcb? The 2sk170 with the little heatsinks could be much better matched tough with enough quantities and patience.

I'm sure this has been discussed, but the trafo from SumR will have dual primaries for us 220v guys right? :)

The frequency is also a problem. In the US 60Hz but in Europe 50 Hz. The lower frequency needs a different transformer optimisation. The only way to ensure trouble-free operation at 50Hz is if the transformer is specified to be dual frequency. 60Hz transformers operated at 50Hz invariably hum because the core is driven higher up the induction curve of the core.

I'll fix the led quantity thing much later today. There were 7 or 8 other errors i found and

fixed yesterday as i was ordering parts.

I've ordered all the parts i can from mouser, should be in by friday.

Will order the rest of the parts from digikey.

Those are the latest schematics, the only part that does not show up should be the 5 pf caps.

Something else i will fix later.

FWIW, There is also a pair of .47uf/50v caps on each amp board that are not shown on the BOM or the schematic.

Sorry if this may be construed as nit picking, the 2K pot silkscreened legend is missing on the amp boards.

I think all SumR transformers can handle 50/60Hz as will most others. In a truly global market and step up/down transformers it is the only thing that makes sense.

Future Electronics have 60 in stock. No problems with where they are supplied to.

Craig

Future it is. Dalbani should have 1486's and most of the others.

I think all SumR transformers can handle 50/60Hz as will most others. In a truly global market and step up/down transformers it is the only thing that makes sense.

That is not what I said - 60Hz transformers will always work with 50Hz.

The problem arises because the primary inductance is fixed, so the primary current has a 1/f dependence. If you are trying to design a transformer that effectively utilises the core at 60Hz, you push the core with 20% more flux when using it at 50Hz. So a 50Hz transformer needs either more primary turns (to keep the NI product the same) or 20% more core.

Which means that a 60Hz optimised transformer (doesn't matter whether EI or toroid) invariably hums when the primaries are connected for use on a 50Hz supply.

My supplier for the T2 transformers, Paul Houlden, can and will specifically redesign and optimise the toroid for 50Hz (if he knows the spec). He also uses oversize cores (within space constraints) to reduce mechanical noise to imperceptible levels.

FWIW, There is also a pair of .47uf/50v caps on each amp board that are not shown on the BOM or the schematic.

Sorry if this may be construed as nit picking, the 2K pot silkscreened legend is missing on the amp boards.

Just noticed the silkscreen legend is missing... Will fix that later today.

Will add the .47 caps to the bom later too.

Had to stop by the car dealer for a new battery yesterday. 4.5 years is way more than most people get.

And had the serpentine belts replaced because they were squeeking.

Indeed, it is a matter of a larger core. The only transformers I've had a problem with here are the truly over sized Victoria Magnetics but they must have been something very wrong.

Had to stop by the car dealer for a new battery yesterday. 4.5 years is way more than most people get.

And had the serpentine belts replaced because they were squeeking.

That's not bad at all. Mine is starting to become weak after 5.5 years but only yesterday I had to jump start by dad's Range which is only 3 years old. The acid in the battery measures just fine though which is quite odd...

Indeed, it is a matter of a larger core. The only transformers I've had a problem with here are the truly over sized Victoria Magnetics but they must have been something very wrong.

That's not bad at all. Mine is starting to become weak after 5.5 years but only yesterday I had to jump start by dad's Range which is only 3 years old. The acid in the battery measures just fine though which is quite odd...

i drove my first car for 8 years and never replaced the battery. no idea if the previous owner had ever replaced it. was 7 years old when i got it.

I couldn't find a distributor for the LSK389. Any suggestion where to find them?

Just in case, could I just replace them with these? 4 X RARE MATCHED 2SK170 2SK170V FET - eBay (item 380269420276 end time Dec-14-10 04:58:05 PST)

How closely match for the 2SK170 should I look for?

I've got some. Want me to send you a pair?