i'm on a roll... the kgsshv

kevin gilmore

Please keep in mind that the listed price does not reflect a "group buy".

I had a small run of these made, therefore the price is substantially higher.

No profit is being made by me. I am selling them to recoup my costs.

I wanted to sell them here at HC due to the original KGSSHV thread being here

but due to my newbie status, I do not have access to the for sale forum on this board.

I will not be offering any more board sets when these are gone.

Looking at that pic I'm glad I asked Kevin to add those extra holes for the smaller 100nf caps. :)

Ohh and that case is really on the tight fitting side of things...

Yes it is, but it should work out just fine.

When I ordered the enclosure (and didnt have the boards yet)

I thought that I might have to overlap the boards a little bit, using different height standoffs.

Turns out that wont be necessary.

I really like the placement of the vent slots, right above and below and to the sides of the major heatsinks.

Should aid in helping the "chimney effect" venting.

Good point, I thought about that too while I was stuffing the boards.

I figured that I've burdened the good Doctor enough already, so I didnt mention it.:)

PCB message has one receiver: the crazy fellow who is building it. And you have already been sensitized by the information.

If I wanted my friends to know what Stax is, then I would engrave such message in the front panel and leave those high voltages away of sight.

How many vent columns at the bottom does your case has? I'm asking because from what I saw on the drawing on their website, it should have 4 like the top, no?

Mine has four on top, two on the bottom, one on each side.

See the pic that I posted above.

Hmmmm? Maybe I've got a defective case?

I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it, the top ones are the most important for venting the heat.

It is good to have them along the sides and bottom to pull cool air in.

If you've noticed, the boards have vent holes in them too to aid with drawing fresh air

up from the bottom, past the fins of the heatsinks.

Nice touch. ::two thumbs way up!::

It looks like I'm going to have to consider building this next year once I've sorted everything else out and maybe moved to a place where I have enough space for DIY, including a drill press, that isn't on the same desk as my computer. Maybe, just maybe, I can do a group buy on volume pots like I did with the Oyaide docks. RK50s are more reasonably priced here as well, though I wasn't thinking of those specifically. I realised a more sane way to go about dealing with the Paypal currency and international bullshit which doesn't require a spreadsheet to work out the charges, so, wife permitting, I can do it easily. I'll post a thread on it if I'm going ahead, so if you want to spam "I'm in for that" wait till Jan or Feb.

It looks like I'm going to have to consider building this next year once I've sorted everything else out and maybe moved to a place where I have enough space for DIY, including a drill press, that isn't on the same desk as my computer. Maybe, just maybe, I can do a group buy on volume pots like I did with the Oyaide docks. RK50s are more reasonably priced here as well, though I wasn't thinking of those specifically. I realised a more sane way to go about dealing with the Paypal currency and international bullshit which doesn't require a spreadsheet to work out the charges, so, wife permitting, I can do it easily. I'll post a thread on it if I'm going ahead, so if you want to spam "I'm in for that" wait till Jan or Feb.

If you can get some prices on quad RK50 consider me interested.

Cant afford no $1000 pot. I dont care where they grow it.:D

There are quad RK27 50k on ebay right now for $34.

What a deal! Yea, yea, I know what you guys think about those.

Let the bashing begin....

I also picked up some cheap chinese 50K dual dact rip-offs that are quad stackable. $20 total.

We'll see how that works.

There are quad RK27 50k on ebay right now for $34.

What a deal! Yea, yea, I know what you guys think about those.

Let the bashing begin....

All you'll be listening to is the sound of the pot. I have no scientific rationale for why these sound just as awful as they do - tearing one apart the design principles and construction look superb. But they sound dreadful. For a more sane price than the RK50, go for a DACT - knocks the RK27 into a cocked hat.