i'm on a roll... the kgsshv

kevin gilmore

After having no success at all I tried this today with 3 x 160V zeners. It's still not working. The output voltage raises slowly. After 10 min it reaches 285V.

Is it normal that the voltage across the zener diodes drops instantly if I want to measure it? Also the voltage across D7-D10 is IMHO too low. I get only 98V and not 580 V as expected.

Just some "food for thought".

Remember that I am not a master builder or EE, so my probing techniques may not be

"textbook perfect" and somewhat brutish and primitive, but they get me to where I want to go.

1)Did you take steps to correctly insulate the heatsinked HV sand to avoid an arc path across the mounting screws?

2) Did you cut all of the traces (or lift/remove all of the associated parts) that I suggested before

when you went with the zener string in lieu of the battery circuit?

3) Sounds possibly like some leaky capacitance at work here. ("output voltage raises slowly")

If it were me, I would cut some traces and/or remove Q1, Q2 and Q8 and anything else that connects across the rails

in order to isolate the filtered input stage and the bias circuit.

I would then verify that the filtered DC was correct entering the bias circuit, and recheck the bias output for 580 volts.

Divide and conquer. If the bias nows reads correct, test then replace the items you removed previously. (Or reconnect the cut traces)

4) As for the main power rails, how do they compare to one another? (static test and under power)

I am assuming that #2 above was completed, because I have no way of knowing what is going on with the batteries.

This could shed some light on different faults in the two curcuits.

@livewire

The insulation is ok now, I used the thick insulators and plastic screws. Also all traces were cut. The problem is really the current source.

A friend showed me an alternative current source with the BUZ80, which is easily to get here.

got it from onlinecomponents

since their communication is literally non-existent, I was hesitant to buy from them with a listed stock of 0. however, about a month ago i noticed "on order: 1" so I snatched it, figuring I could always have the credit card company cancel the payment (the price almost seemed like a scam - though it was $720 when I bought it, and now it's listed at $570). low and behold, it was real

Edited by El_Doug

got it from onlinecomponents

since their communication is literally non-existent, I was hesitant to buy from them with a listed stock of 0. however, about a month ago i noticed "on order: 1" so I snatched it, figuring I could always have the credit card company cancel the payment (the price almost seemed like a scam - though it was $720 when I bought it, and now it's listed at $570). low and behold, it was real

http://www.onlinecomponents.com/alps-electric_rk50114a0001.html?p=10114282

Is the link above the correct RK50 that I need to order? I want to purchase one for my T2 build?

Thanks

Edited by purk

A few questions... Is CTR important? Is it better to let the base of the transistor float, or tie it to the opto? Looks like a good strategy for a 'stat amp...

the gate drive opto isolators provide floating V ~8V from a string of photodiodes that you can series with the enhancement fet gate to get "depletion mode" equivalent - but the floating V source can provide very little current, < 10 uA - quite enough for mosfet gate drive though

some C in parallel with the photodiodes assures enough charge capacity to soak up Crss slewing current - possibly a "gate stopper" R would assure RF stability

http://www.irf.com/product-info/datasheets/data/pvi5013r.pdf

noise and V ref stablity over temp, LED life are possible issues - depending on mosfet gate threshold V you should have enough V headroom to put a jfet or LM334 ccs in series with the mosfet source - pretty much eliminating concerns about the gate V quality that you would have if you simply used a source series R to set the current

Edited by jcx

• 2 weeks later...

I had a chance to prototype Kevin's new power supply.

Here's a picture of my prototype...

abpsnoise001.jpg

I've built the bias as well (on the top of the supply). My supply is set for 425VDC and the AC input is 355VAC.

Here's a shot of the scope while I was measuring for noise on the 425V rail. I took several shots and this was the worst of the bunch.

abpsnoise003on.jpg

The amazining thing is that here is a shot of the scope when the power supply was turned off.

abpsnoise009off.jpg

I have a bunch of 2MHz noise in my appartment so I filtered that out before I measured.

It really is a great supply.