i'm on a roll... the kgsshv

kevin gilmore

Formally that is called the transformer regulation - the percent difference between fully loaded and no load. For your numbers (490 cf 450) that is 9%, and is typical of a 120VA transformer. That percentage also takes into account that when loaded the transformer will heat up - typically to 50 - 60C, and the copper windings will increase in resistance.

• 3 weeks later...

Some progress. My custom casing made from 3mm thick 4 inch and 5 inch plates. Bones are half inch. Its 15 x 11 x 4 in dimension. It was hard work tapping and drilling all the holes to precision. Took me about 4 days to get this case up from scratch. Need another for the amp portion. Good thing is that it costs US50 for both the casings and the tools (drill bits and taps). With all the metal it weighs close to 4 kg per box.

No kidding! I have a Hakko 936. Even at 800F is hard. I spent a lot of time today going over all the solder points with a magnifying glass. Will double check and triple check the components tomorrow.

Get a wider chisel tip as well if you haven't switched out to one to solder the heatsinks.

I used PEEK screws, but not sure if nylon washers with metal nuts are OK.

I did the exact same thing on my build with no issues.

One word of advice, make sure your solder joints for the HV transistors (the heatsink mounted parts in particular) are nice a clean. I learned the hard way that a little spec of solder sticking out near the ground plane can lead to a short.

That thread was a train wreck waiting to happen. I'm glad Nate shut it down.

Conformal coating is a great idea if you have plans to send your amp into space

or if it is to be used in a corrosive environment. Beware that it is a major pain in the ass

to remove if you ever need to replace any parts during rework or repair.

I didn't use any conformal coating and didn't have any kind of shorting or arcing problems. I think like Horio said if the joints are neat and solder isn't all over the place you should be fine. Although if jcx were here I imagine he would not agree.

That thread was a disaster - someone who doesn't know one end of a diode from the other, and worse yet the difference between a resistor and a diode on a layout should not be building a KGSSHV.

I think of it less as a disaster and more like a Nascar wreck. As many times as I posted to deter the guy from building it, I secretly wanted him to try it anyways and post 3 months from now about how his life flashed before his eyes upon his first attempt to power it up. An extra bonus would have been attached photos of small housefires it may have caused.