i'm on a roll... the kgsshv

kevin gilmore

I've looked for HV-rated minigrabbers for a long time; not even Agilent makes one rated >300V (their U8201A kit says it's rated for 1kV, but the minigrabbers are still only 300V). There are alligator clips out there at 600V which are an okay replacement, but the minigrabbers seem fine to me when they're setup and not touched while live.

Fun... new board, +/-15v supply is all over the place, and the 500v supply sparked on powerup and blew the fuse... this is just not my build so far sad.png

any better way to test my transformer other than measuring for shorts, and then measuring the AC voltage?

Edited by El_Doug

Amp 1: got the balance as close to zero as I can get it, fluctuating +- 300 mV or so, the offset fluctuates more but appears stable.

Amp 2: D1 LED popped, not sure yet why. It worked fine for a few hours.

Edited by eggil

EL_Doug I am sure things will turn out ok in the end. I am a bit luckier, I have found music after 3 months of hard work. However, my transformer has a slight buzz and I have hum when the voulme is at zero although I followed the suggested grounding plan. Any suggestions to cure them? I am using the dact potentiometer on a 2 box psu/amp build.

I will have to thank Ben, Kevin and Birgir for helping me along with the build when I had questions and problems. Kevin thank you very much for designing the KGSShv.

For the moment I am really tired spending more than 5 hours of intensive wiring earlier today. I will post a mini review of the sound later on, but for now all I can say is that I can feel the raw power of this amp extracting unbelieveable details, thick sound and big powerfully controlled bass. It is miles ahead of the exStata which I have infront of me on loan. I would also post pictures of the build later, but my quota has run out.

Edited by Victor Chew

Well, I have a working PSU and 1 amp. The second one has given me grief after it worked for a few hours.

My work schedule wont allow me to do much for a few weeks, but no worries, I will make it work.

And congratulations Victor! Enjoy many happy listening moments.

With a DACT then that would be my first board of call for a fault. If that's not the case then just wire all the grounds to one point in the amp (I used one amp board ground connector for everything) and then it should work flawlessly.

Ok, R2 25 ohm resistor was blown and changed it along with D1 LED.

R4 1k, R28 5.1 and all other resistors were fine. Should I worry about the 4686's on that side?

They are pretty tough so do a diode test and if they pass, try to power it on.

Pictures of my build

post-2518-0-23132700-1333204677_thumb.jppost-2518-0-24941800-1333204687_thumb.jppost-2518-0-25325500-1333204696_thumb.jppost-2518-0-57282800-1333204707_thumb.jppost-2518-0-09382400-1333204718_thumb.jppost-2518-0-22739100-1333204728_thumb.jppost-2518-0-23218600-1333204741_thumb.jp

Spent most of the building time on building the casing. PSU has about 800 holes and Amp has more than 1200 holes for ventilation. All hand drilled. My wife thinks I am crazy. Fortunately it was done in the common area so I did not get any beating from her dirtying the place. Also had to wait 10 day for the lacquer to dry before implanting the boards into them.

Edited by Victor Chew