i'm on a roll... the kgsshv

kevin gilmore

congrats!!

Thanks!

Now if anyone has any tips for desoldering to-220 heatsinks from the board... this is much harder than removing a through-hole device :( I've been going at this for 45 minutes and haven't managed to remove a single one of the four

Because I mismeasured and my heatsinks need to be shaved 2mm (I don't want to put a hole in the top of my chassis, and I'm not comfortable with using any shorter standoffs)

Once my wife gets home, I may have her yank on the heatsink with pliers while I heat both of the joints. I've spent over an hour with my desoldering pump and braid with no luck... not to mention the ridiculous amounts of flux vapors now permeating the air in my living room :D

why do you need to unsolder the heatsinks? It was designed to be repaired without ever doing that.

Edited by El_Doug

Yeah, just cut the component leads and them desolder and clear the holes. If you really want to remove the sinks then an OKI/Metcal iron is your friend. A few seconds and they are loose... smile.png

Ohh and I do it by heating one joint, edging that out 1mm or so, then the other joint until it's free.

Edited by spritzer

Does more than 1 count?

3 of the 4 units that were built by the one guy (i forgot already) work, i'm not

sure who owns them. The 4th unit is erico, and his should be fixed soon.

I know there are a few units overseas already, don't know those people either.

i get a bunch of thankyou's in emails, but usually can't put the avatars and

names together.

Edited by kevin gilmore

Yours. biggrin.png How's it functioning now? Working well now I hope.

It functions but requires some tweaking.

A while back, I shoehorned a monster Antec that Frank Cooter recommended to replace the fried SumR.

Still need to install the LSK389 FETs on the amp boards, I suspect that it has drift issues with the discreet input devices.

Sorry Livewire, and yours was the first one, not counting Kevin's smile.png

So about 16 so far

No apologies needed, Kevin put the pen to paper, he's #1 in my book! cool.png

Started building my off board. PSU -ve HV side blew up sending parts of one FQPF8N80C flying around. LV and the +ve HV is fine with nice readings. Checked for shorts but don't see any so far. Took down the other FPF8N80C, 2N3904 and diode 24v with it. 20K resistor slightly blackened but tested ok.

Trouble shooting now.

Edited by Victor Chew

On close examination of the FQPF8N80C realised that 2 looked different. On the +ve HV side which works fine uses the same ones as in my perfectly working on board version. Fakes, I believe brought the -ve HV rails down. Bought them from my local electronic store. Should have looked closer before puttng them to work. In anycase, will have to get them replaced.

I believe Deadlylover has his going and has sold his B22 and dynamic phones.

I've almost completed my KGSS (cosmetic issues still to do).

I have 4 sets of boards stuffed and 2 chassis ready to roll.

Just need assembling and wiring, and more free time..

Edited by wink

Victor, are you testing your transistors before installing them?

For what is worth, as recommended by somebody else, I tested them with a DUOYI 294 and have only bought from reputable sources like Mouser, BDent or similar.

I got the DUOYI 294. Did sampling only and they seem fine so I assumed they were all ok. I guess everyone has to be tested in future. Bought it from the same fellow but the second batch are all fakes. I will go to the shop next week and show it to them.

Bought it from them because of long and good previous relationship and wanted to sgupport them where possibe.