i'm on a roll... the kgsshv

kevin gilmore

Do a search in the T2 thread for "Dalbani". Buyer beware!

doh. the ones in the eBay pic look real though. all the 2SA1968 fakes ive seen are clearly fake if you've seen a real one.

edit: i thought the Dalbani name was familiar, but the ebay link says they're in Florida, so i thought it was someone else

Edited by justin

i remember when mikhail had a couple thousand 2SA1968. i'm sure the price from Sanyo was in the 20-40 cents range. he just bought any parts he might someday use -- that was when he was going to build a point to point Blue Hawaii. wonder what happened to them..

Edited by justin

2.1v - vbe junction (.7) /180 ohms == 7ma.

But the led's actually are more like 1.7 volts due to

the drive current.

So its about 5.5ma.

You can change to a higher voltage led, but the red led's thermally

match the output transistors.

So you want to cut the 180 ohm resistors to something like 150 or 120 ohms.

So could you replace the emitter resistor with a like 200 ohm trimmer resistor so you don't have to solder and re solder to test different biases?

i remember when mikhail had a couple thousand 2SA1968. i'm sure the price from Sanyo was in the 20-40 cents range. he just bought any parts he might someday use -- that was when he was going to build a point to point Blue Hawaii. wonder what happened to them..

Mikhail must have bought those more than 10 years ago. That is real foresight if he had investments in his mind. Outperforms many other forms of investments and they don't have to be fed as well. Under the bed will be a good enough storage.

People like us who really need them today will have to pay the much higher prices unfortunately.

Edited by Victor Chew

That is real foresight if he had investments in his mind. Outperforms many other forms of investments and they don't have to be fed as well. Under the bed will be a good enough storage.

depends if they're to be used instead of paying higher prices later, or to be sold later for a profit. factor in the time/labor of unloading the parts 1, 2, or 5 at a time, probably over several years

That's what I keep telling myself when I buy these large lots. laugh.png

WRT upping the HV bias keep in mind just how far the transistors can be pushed. 20mA at 500V is a lot of power and the PSU needs to be oversized as well. My plan is to lower the rails to 400-450V and increase the current that much more.

Well, I bought 10 mainly out of curiosity. I will take pictures when they arrive and will test them with my limited equipment and will compare them with the ones I got from BDent

If they are fakes they'll go back where they came from.

If they give me a hard time, then it will reflect in their feedback.

Edited by eggil

WRT upping the HV bias keep in mind just how far the transistors can be pushed. 20mA at 500V is a lot of power and the PSU needs to be oversized as well. My plan is to lower the rails to 400-450V and increase the current that much more.

Wouldn't team overkill just use two power supplies rather than compromise like that? cool.png

The wheels had already been turning in my head on this one after you said that about the power supply Spritzer, and i think you could pretty easily fit two power supplies and transformers into the 2U pessante case to stack nicely underneath the 3U Pessante Dissipante case the amp would be in. But an offboard version would be pretty cool as well...

This was also super convenient because now I'll have room for the AMB Delta 1 attenuator(since i missed out on the KG one) inside the amp case, i was wanting to use a couple of them, but couldn't find the room.

dual mono isn't "overkill" with Class A balanced output - it is closer to "not even wrong"

Class A balanced output draws constant current from the PS - there isn't any interaction between channels via the PS if they are both ~ ccs loads irrespective of audio signal in either channel

even in clipping the most common situation will be Voltage clipping - low frequency audio signals don't draw any appreciable current drivng ES, are the most common large amplitude signals

Infact I did run this dual mono thingy by Kevin some time ago. He probably thought that I was a bit mad and by way of his "medicinal cure for me" he siad it was way over kill for a headphone amp but that it was ok for a speaker amp. I was cured and did not proceed with the dual mono idea. But I think the medicinal effect is not permanent, and I feel that my madness is coming back. Not only for the KGSShv but hopefully for the megatron as well. Infact the dynahi I am building now is dual mono. Do I really want to be cured or can I be????evil.gif