i'm on a roll... the kgsshv

kevin gilmore

In related news I'm working out the details to make a tiny KGSSHV.  The box is only about 15*10*25cm so I have to use a BH power supply as even my tiny HV supply won't fit.  With 500V caps I should be able to do 440V or something like that.  :) 

That sounds great. Do share when you're done, I might be able to get rid of the 252 for the PC with this :P

At the same time, I've gone through this whole thread a second time and can I just verify that it's okay to just use thermal paste for the 15V regulators 7815/7915? I know the 4684A doesn't need the aluminum oxide insulators, just want to check on the 7815/7915s.

In related news I'm working out the details to make a tiny KGSSHV.  The box is only about 15*10*25cm so I have to use a BH power supply as even my tiny HV supply won't fit.  With 500V caps I should be able to do 440V or something like that.  :)

If you use the isolated parts then thermal paste would be fine but you need to insulate the bare metal tabs.  No way around that... 

Here is the same chassis I'll be using for the mini HV:

tnE7oFSh.jpg

This is a Hiraga Le Monste being test fitted to see just how hot it gets.  The regulators get burning hot so I'll probably relocate them to the side sinks and add servo's,  Nice transformer hum as well... :laugh:

Edited by spritzer

Wow! That's tiny! How does it sound? Not tinny, I hope :P

If you use the isolated parts then thermal paste would be fine but you need to insulate the bare metal tabs.  No way around that... 

Here is the same chassis I'll be using for the mini HV:

tnE7oFSh.jpg

This is a Hiraga Le Monste being test fitted to see just how hot it gets.  The regulators get burning hot so I'll probably relocate them to the side sinks and add servo's,  Nice transformer hum as well... :laugh:

Also mucho interested in this one. Space constraints is why I went with the 727II and constantly looking for tweaks to improve performance.

Interested in those 1486's as well (would beat paying $35 for ten pieces on bdent). Also, is there another source for 2SC4686A's? Bdent's stock is apparently out. They were in stock when I checked about a week ago (really should have bought some then).

Story of the tiny chassis continues:

OUCin3eh.jpg

Moved the regulators and swapped out the 3300uf main PSU caps for 33000uf.  I also added servo's to the amp boards (modified version of the Dynalo/KG servo) to keep the offset in check.  I'm using TL072's now as there were some just sitting on my desk but I'll probably put in some OPA27's. 

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1362550397.809368.jpg Have had 50 of these for a while, just tested. 1050-1100V Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have some of those on the left.  Bought from a local store so European origin probably... 

...and it's pretty much done.  :)

Runs very hot, front panel at 60°C after an hour.  Hardly surprising given 0.8A@12V times four plus the regulators.  I need some new resistors... 

Nice build and it should sound very warm I guess :) Arctic version?

Pffft, glaciers are overrated anyway...  :) 

This was done on purpose though to see if the box could dissipate 50W so I would know how hard I can push the KGSSHV in the same chassis.  I will change this one though as the PSU caps will not last long at 60+°C.  I just don't have any non inductive resistors in these very low values.