i'm on a roll... the kgsshv

kevin gilmore

yay, no more ground planes under caps. Thanks Kevin.

And just out of curiosity, is there any particluar reason benefit to have one 2K and 24V diode per power transistor? There was only one set per rail in the v0.6.

Edited by jwzhan

Made some progress on the psu board. Though I forgot to get enough 150V zeners and .22uF caps with the right lead spacing. Anyone have extra PEEK screws they wouldn't mind selling me? 100 screws from solidspot is far more than I'd use.

a0FzKXq.jpg

Good news everyone!!!  Well there are a few of them actually...  :)

Kevin has tested the 01N100D's as output devices and they work just fine after a rebias so they can be used.  Ceramic insulators are needed but it is better than nothing. 

Kevin has also updated the design to use available sand from Mouser so no more 2705 shortages.  SMD posts also added to sub the 1486's to the latest layout.  We are also working on subs for the LSK389 to make sourcing the parts easier. 

Last but not least, I finally cleared up the onboard PCB design and shaved 20mm off one axis and 25mm off the other one.  Not too shabby so the boards will be cheaper and easier to mount into boxes. 

I also have a small offboard version ready for checking but it is 450V limited with 2SA1968's and intended for one of my personal projects.  Might look at the standard one when I have time though. 

Edit:  I'm also going to shrink the PSU a bit. 

Edited by spritzer

Thanks guys.  Gotta love being able to get the sand for these.  Of course as soon as you release it and we all start buying parts it will all go EOL. :rant: Seems to be the case with all the good projects now.

We should be good for a few years now.   I've updated the board to include the dual fet available at Mouser but they haven't been tested yet.  Should be just fine but it's a tiny SMD part so it will take a steady hand to install.  They have a huge stock and then there are always the Fairchild N-channel parts.  Dirt cheap and about 250,000 in stock of one type... 

This version also added support for the SMD replacements for the 1486 and they are brand new at Mouser. 

The output devices are a problem though.  Mouser has some slightly unusual parts in stock that I'm going to try and report back.  I was also looking around and there are some new parts coming that might work. 

Ohh and reworking the PSU is an epic pain...  :(

Thanks for making this even better for us guys sited overseas!

Just some updates... my build is coming together nicely. My PSU is working (+500 and -499, so pretty much what I planned for it) and should be able to test out the amp boards tomorrow. As part of working on this project, I've also managed to meet up with Victor who's been great and helping me second eye my "creations" before we ran voltage through em.

Looking forward to more updates to the mini version!

We don't really do BOM's but here is the board as it stands now:

M7MIpwm.jpg

I think I've gone as far as I can with shrinking it down but I might be able to scrape some mm's off it at the bottom. 

Here is the new fet:  http://www2.mouser.com/ProductDetail/NXP/PMBFJ620115/?qs=%2fha2pyFadui0jglBrupTXFF4afbDGBI0NwQMb%2fYXeEA%3d

Here is the 2SA1486 replacement:  http://www2.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=STN9360virtualkey51120000virtualkey511-STN9360

There is also the 511-STN9260 which is cheaper but has a lower HfE.  Should work just fine though. 

Feel free to run a groupbuy.  :)  I'll be ordering boards for me this week to do a test run and to try out all the new parts.  I'll do both 450V and 500V versions just to make sure. 

Here is the latest pic of the PSU rework. 

Edit:  Kevin's pics are better. 

Epic pain to say the least.  This shows the board before I shrink the border but the space saving is about 5cm in width and 2.5cm in height.  The only sacrifices made were to the LV supply and they were just to remove the heatsinks (which were only there for people who wanted to power something else off it as well as the KGSSHV) and use smaller non snap in filter caps. 

Needs to be checked about 500 times before production though.  It's one complicated beast... 

Edited by spritzer