i'm on a roll... the kgsshv

kevin gilmore

Good job all round gentlemen. Will you make the pcb available to us now?

As usual, gerber file to make boards is available from Dr Gilmore. Just ask nicely. :)

Just wondering if you managed to test it out with the amp boards, yet. Wondering if there are any sonic differences from the older sand to take note of? 

I am waiting for the peek screws to test with the new mini amp boards which use all new devices. When everything is done, I will try to compare with my old KGSSHV. Sonic differences... might be yes, but very small, I guess. The main advantage is everything can be sourced from a single vendor which is a huge plus. Mouser now has the 2.5" Aavid heatsinks so we don't have to order them from Digikey. I compared the Aavid with the 2.5" Ohmite in my BOM and the former is a clear winner.

Group buy will be opened in a day or two. Thinking of what other boards should we order? :)

As usual, gerber file to make boards is available from Dr Gilmore. Just ask nicely. :)

I am waiting for the peek screws to test with the new mini amp boards which use all new devices. When everything is done, I will try to compare with my old KGSSHV. Sonic differences... might be yes, but very small, I guess. The main advantage is everything can be sourced from a single vendor which is a huge plus. Mouser now has the 2.5" Aavid heatsinks so we don't have to order them from Digikey. I compared the Aavid with the 2.5" Ohmite in my BOM and the former is a clear winner.

Group buy will be opened in a day or two. Thinking of what other boards should we order? :)

Cools! Looking forward to your A/B comparison. As to other boards... maybe the prototype Megatron? :P

I don't think the BH will ever be released to public. :) But the Megatron is very tempting indeed.... Other boards I'd love to try or prototype are the onboard Dynahi, KSA5 and Dynalo.

I've just stopped by the machine shop to pick up my custom case for this KGSSHV. Haven't finished the front panels, but here is the bottom plate. Very compact and the PSU and amp are the same size :) A stack of them would be awesome, I hope.

9211682699_bef7e29b9f_c.jpg

Very nice Tran. How many builds this year so far?

I have 1 DAC, 3 dynamic amps and 3 electrostats.... but nothing totally finished. :(

Hi Tran,

What is the size of your bottom plate?

It's 215mm x 300mm. :) Might hard to squeeze in a large pot like the Khozmo or RK50, but something like the DACT or Alpha would be just fine.

Id be interested in a set of the new smaller KGSSHV boards, now that I'm getting back in headphones after a brief exit to speakers. I would also be interested in a set of boards for that new SuSy Dynalo, and I would buy a set of Megatron boards if they were offered just in case at some point in the future I felt like putting it together I ever got the balls to build one.

I don't think the BH will ever be released to public. :) But the Megatron is very tempting indeed.... Other boards I'd love to try or prototype are the onboard Dynahi, KSA5 and Dynalo.

Mini KGSSHV and Megatron :dance:

Thanks everyone effected these great amps! :laugh:

introducing the ....

KNOB OF BIRGIR

http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/knobs4.jpg

only my second absolutely perfect ebony knob out of piles of ebony.

birgir's birthday present for his ecp L2.

and a black and white ebony blank

from a very overpriced 3 x 3 x 12 piece of ebony guaranteed no cracks

with 2 actual cracks, and which I will be able to make no more than 4 knobs

out of. >:(

Edited by kevin gilmore
  • Like 2