i'm on a roll... the kgsshv

kevin gilmore

right using lil knights boards.  I just have not been able to identify which part might need to be replaced.  still getting the same symptoms.  Ive  checked the amp boards 3-4x and  to my eye nothing seems out of place.  thats why I'm posting up since I ran out of ideas myself..

It'll probably help if you'd take a proper image of the board so folks can have a look at it. There have been a few in previous posts where things are missed (isolators and what not) that were problems.

There have also been cases of folks plugging in excess parts when they shouldn't (e.g. 450v parts for a 500v PS and parts for IXYS instead of A1968s etc). 

In both instances a photo can help folks to diagnose for you :)

500VA is excessive for KGSSHV. 200VA is probably already way overkill. Many of us just use about 150VA transfo and it's just fine.

All those wires has to fit somewhere. If it's not in the width, it's going to be the height. It's not going to be a small transfo that's for sure.

Wiring is discussed multiple times in this thread. You probably can't read through 20 pages of this thread without seeing someone mentioning it.

You are probably in the wrong place if you didn't read the entire thread before taking on this project.

I came from AMB where instructions and parts list are easily found. I particularly don't like reading through posts to look for BOM and instructions. There's a lot of sifting through for relevant information; I have to spend a lot of time filtering out irrelevant posts and piecing fragmented information together. 146 pages is a lot to read through. Plus there are revisions and what not so I may actually end up reading outdated information. First I read 500VA, then 450VA, now 150VA. The same goes for BOMs. I know for sure wiring has been discussed "somewhere" in this thread. Is there anything I need to be aware of if I locate the PSU externally? Internally? My best bet is to use the search function, though it doesn't always help. In the end I'm asking too many FAQs that might have already been answered "somewhere" in this thread.

I like it if someone posted the BOM and instructions on their website similar to AMB so users don't have to sift through all these posts.

I came from AMB where instructions and parts list are easily found. I particularly don't like reading through posts to look for BOM and instructions. There's a lot of sifting through for relevant information; I have to spend a lot of time filtering out irrelevant posts and piecing fragmented information together. 146 pages is a lot to read through. Plus there are revisions and what not so I may actually end up reading outdated information. First I read 500VA, then 450VA, now 150VA. The same goes for BOMs. I know for sure wiring has been discussed "somewhere" in this thread. Is there anything I need to be aware of if I locate the PSU externally? Internally? My best bet is to use the search function, though it doesn't always help. In the end I'm asking too many FAQs that might have already been answered "somewhere" in this thread.

I like it if someone posted the BOM and instructions on their website similar to AMB so users don't have to sift through all these posts.

It takes a while and it can actually be beneficial for you to sift through so you will know some of the troubles encountered by others and pay extra attention there. It is high-voltage (can be dangerous).

I do also think you're not registering things that you read properly. Pretty sure the "500VA and 450VA" you're quoting is actually the voltage of the power supply... even though overkill is fairly common here, a 500VA transformer is going to be way huge. Just to be clear, the amp runs as 500V (for IXYS) or 450V (for 1968s).

Unfortunately, this stuff isn't sold as a kit... so there really aren't instructions but shared experiences. Give it a while, you'll find that the folks here are really nicer than it seems.

Edited by RiStaR

Did I just say 450VA? Whoops, I meant 450V output.

Yes. Reading about troubles people have encountered such as blown fuses is something I take note of. Comments like "awesome build!","great job!","thank you!" is something I don't need to read about. Anything that's about 230V is completely irrelevant to me as I'm from the US, not EU. If people made mistakes because information was left out (not mistakes like reversing polarity), then it can be very daunting. Ti Kan of AMB goes to great lengths to ensure a build comes out flawless and mentions every issue (i.e. the notes he makes when choosing parts or values) that builders need to know. It's very DIY friendly. The mistakes people often make on AMB are usually wrong part or reversed polarity and rarely due to missing information.

There's a saying for this. "You don't know what you don't know." If Ti posted all his work in a thread like this, information gets lost and jumbled, which increases the risks of a failed project. Not everyone will have the patience to read through 146 pages to find relevant information. I am very grateful for Lil Knight's blog. Although, it doesn't mention anything about fuses so that's one example of missing information and a DIYer would have learned that the hard way if he/she didn't read through the 146 pages (actually I've already known about it from AMB, but what if I didn't?). Besides missing information, I have to worry about misinformation as well as my own misunderstandings (I'm not an electrical engineer).

Speaking of fuses, I try searching "fuse" in this thread and all I get are "the fuse blew up" comments with no concrete answers. I read 2A slow-blow. Though, it might be wrong.

Seriously, we like Ti and we respect what he is doing, but this is not AMB.

We don't hand things to people. Everything you need IS in here. EU or US, there is NO diference in the build. If you don't make reasonable amount of effort, why should we put our effort in to help you?

Most of us here are not electrical engineers, we learn things the hard way and we put our experiences in the thread. All you have to do is to read them and you are saying it's too much work? Really?

This community has become a lot more tolerant to new members, but we can only do so much. We are no baby sitters.

Did I just say 450VA? Whoops, I meant 450V output.

Yes. Reading about troubles people have encountered such as blown fuses is something I take note of. Comments like "awesome build!","great job!","thank you!" is something I don't need to read about. Anything that's about 230V is completely irrelevant to me as I'm from the US, not EU. If people made mistakes because information was left out (not mistakes like reversing polarity), then it can be very daunting. Ti Kan of AMB goes to great lengths to ensure a build comes out flawless and mentions every issue (i.e. the notes he makes when choosing parts or values) that builders need to know. It's very DIY friendly. The mistakes people often make on AMB are usually wrong part or reversed polarity and rarely due to missing information.

There's a saying for this. "You don't know what you don't know." If Ti posted all his work in a thread like this, information gets lost and jumbled, which increases the risks of a failed project. Not everyone will have the patience to read through 146 pages to find relevant information. I am very grateful for Lil Knight's blog. Although, it doesn't mention anything about fuses so that's one example of missing information and a DIYer would have learned that the hard way if he/she didn't read through the 146 pages (actually I've already known about it from AMB, but what if I didn't?). Besides missing information, I have to worry about misinformation as well as my own misunderstandings (I'm not an electrical engineer).

Speaking of fuses, I try searching "fuse" in this thread and all I get are "the fuse blew up" comments with no concrete answers. I read 2A slow-blow. Though, it might be wrong.

How do you feel about reading comments like "You're certainly an entitled little cunt aren't you," "Fuck off if you don't like it here," or "Eat a dick!"?

I think the important difference is that AMB set out to deliver fully packaged diy projects with accompanying documentation, including even a support forum. On the other hand, this forum is a community of awesome people that have varying interests, some of whom collaborate together and design/build great projects; of which they choose to share some. Coming here and complaining that people sharing their builds or congratulating others for accomplishing a nice build is "something you don't need to read about", imo shows you didn't read the welcome message.

Most DIY is more or less like this here.  AMB/Ti does a bang up job, but he is an anomaly.  He runs it like a commercial venture, and not a personal project.  As does other MOTs like Beezar.  It's DIY for a reason.  Most DIY isn't really newbie friendly.  AMB, and similar companies, help to get people started, but some people don't go the extra mile and actually obtain knowledge.  They become glorified board stuffers and ask questions that any person that spent a few minutes looking at a schematic and/or studying the PCB can answer.

Based on what you're posting and asking about, I will say this project is too hard for you.  If you don't know how to wire a transformer, or to run wires from the PSU to the amp, or what fuse to use, you need to get some more experience.  None of these are project specific, and speaks clearly to your experience base.

Sell your boards, you really won't get too far with this project.  You are correct that you don't know what you don't know.  The question is can you resolve a problem you hit?  The answer is clearly no, and will need serious hand holding.  If one needs so much help, why bother with DIY?  You didn't DIY.  Someone else did it for you.

Edited by holland

I don't mean to offend anyone but I believe DIY should be encouraged, even if one doesn't have an engineering background. I'm not asking for entitelment. I do learn along the way. I feel embarrased when I have to ask newbie-esque questions. Why? It shows others that I'm inexperienced and so it'll ilicit this response "if you have to ask these things, then you shouldn't be doing this"; a big discouragement. The only thing I'm uncomfortable with are SMD so I don't go there much.

I've read through the first 20 pages and it's mostly preliminary stuff and still in the prototype stage. That's when I got a little impatient seeing I have another 120 pages to read and so I apologize to everyone. I will continue to read through it and gather every information and notes I can. So let bygones be bygones. I may contribute something in the future like a comprehensive guide.

So... can I be pardoned?

you don't need to tell us you're reading.  Read.  Don't complain about how things are.  If you want things to be different, we're a lot more likely to accept "here's what I did" than "here's what you need to do".  Because "here's what you need to do" is usually immediately followed by a shovel.