i'm on a roll... the kgsshv

kevin gilmore

Just a quick update on my amp...

I wired up both channels this morning and spent an hour listing (I finally pulled out the O2s).

I haven't had a chance to A/B with the Blue Hawaii, but from memory it sounds every bit as good.

Is your KGSShv in standard configuration or was current turned up?

I turned on my KGSSHV today to adjust the offsets in preparation for the 009 that I will probably be getting next month. I never did properly get it lowered... They were around +20V.. no big deal, but I figured why not lower it if I can...

20 min into the warm up and I opened the cover... to my horror... I found quite a few ants crawling about inside the amp.... It's that time of the year again. Ants are everywhere, but I didn't expect to find them in my amp.

I need to find a way to keep ants away from my gears. Do you guys have any suggestion?

I turned on my KGSSHV today to adjust the offsets in preparation for the 009 that I will probably be getting next month. I never did properly get it lowered... They were around +20V.. no big deal, but I figured why not lower it if I can...

20 min into the warm up and I opened the cover... to my horror... I found quite a few ants crawling about inside the amp.... It's that time of the year again. Ants are everywhere, but I didn't expect to find them in my amp.

I need to find a way to keep ants away from my gears. Do you guys have any suggestion?

Cinnamon sticks.

Brilliant "NOANTS"

Oh the trials and tribulations of you who have more extreme climates. In the UK we sometiimes get an attack of little black ants. The Nippon drops work for these. The sugary bait contains a poison that they take back and shock - horror, they die. The Rentokill products are effective too.

But we don't get big ferocious beasts so I can't say what would work best for those.

I haven't tried this, but am assured it works.....

You mix borax powder with vanilla sugar.

The vanilla sugar has to be the real deal and not immitation vanilla.

The scenario is that the ants take the  small grains back into their nest and the borax kills the whole colony.

Apparently, the ants love the vanilla and sugar.

Supposedly great for other denizens.

For cockroaches, use vanilla sugar and plaster of paris.

When the cockies eat the mix the gastric juices mix with the plaster of paris and sets in their stomach, blocking the works and killing them.

Worth a try.

Is your KGSShv in standard configuration or was current turned up?

yes. I set it up with the default current. I would want to check the temperatures once it is fully cased up before thinking about this.

I'm pretty happy so far with the way it sounds.

... I never thought about issues with bugs inside the amps. Good luck.

yes. I set it up with the default current. I would want to check the temperatures once it is fully cased up before thinking about this.

I'm pretty happy so far with the way it sounds.

are you sure? nobody has successfully built a KGSSHV.  the bill of materials just isn't complete enough.

• Like 1

I forget too much...

My amp is running at 3 mA (per leg) on the 3rd stage and uses IXCP10m90s with a 1200 ohm current set resistor.  This will only work up to 900V (+/- 450V) on the power supply. 

Output - Silk error #2

I'm using a 100 ohm set resistor (must have been playing with this value in spice and forgot to set it back when I made the boards) to set the current - about 10.7 mA per leg - I was confused why it was running so hot - now I know.  Good news - nothing went boom and the amp seems to run stable.

I have a version 3 jpeg of the amp board that had a 120 ohm set resistor for the current which puts it at about 9 mA per leg.

Version 12 of the amp uses a 180 ohm set resistor which puts the current at about 6 mA.

In a conversation with Kevin he said he was targeting about 7 mA (depends on the LEDs you use as well).  This is what I though I was setting the amp up for (default / standard current). 

EDIT:  I also saw another post in this thread that had Kevin putting the output stage at 5.5 mA

Edited by Kerry