i'm on a roll... the kgsshv

kevin gilmore

After following this thread for almost two years, I have finally finished building 2x KGSSHV amps that I have been working on since April 2012.  As these two amps are my first foray into DIY electronics, I can attest that all the information from this thread (as well as from the T2 thread) were sufficient in resolving all my questions/issues that I had along the way.

Due to excessive foreign travel, I was only able to work on these amps sporadically (and only when not jetlagged!).  The first one (single box unit) was completed using the IXY current source.  Unfortunately, the second unit was delayed after I found out that Par Metal had burned down.  I finally got around to sourcing the cases and finally finished the second unit (A1968) a few days ago.

I want to thank Kevin Gilmore for the awesome design and the members here on the wealth of information shared!

post-4323-0-27553300-1381722750_thumb.jp

post-4323-0-53508400-1381722759_thumb.jp

post-4323-0-21655500-1381722766_thumb.jp

post-4323-0-19803300-1381722774_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Been loosing lots of sleep these last few nights... :laugh:

Prior to the KGSSHV, I used a SRM-006tA followed by the SRM-323S on my O2mk2.  If one characterizes the 006tA's bass as 'flabby', then comparatively, the 323S does appear to tighten up the bass with a bit more slam.  However, the KGSSHV takes this tightened and controlled bass and runs with it... the presence of bass (where it is intended) is much more present in almost all the music I have been listening to.

Soundstage is larger.  I listen to a lot of female vocals, and one thing that I particularly noticed was when several voices are singing together, the vocals do not appear to blend into one harmonized tone, but maintain the fragility and definition of those voices.  Texture in vocals are also discernible.  Everything does sound more "crisp and sparkly" and the KGSSHV presents all instruments and vocals equally and in their place.  Using the same source (MBP + Benchmark DAC1), the 006tA did appear to weigh surrounding instruments and vocals differently--I am not sure if this is a byproduct of amplifying with tubes or the particular topology of the stax tube amp compared to the KGSSHV.  I guess I will need to listen to a BHSE / T2 to find out!

jwzhan: Yes it is!  That is a PS1 (1001) that I was using as the cd transport for testing in the kitchen.  8)

johnwmclean: I embarked on this project at around a time when there were no group buys (I did not expect so much momentum like right now!), so I had a small batch of PCBs made from a vendor in Taiwan while I was there last year.  The sky was the limit for options and almost as if there was an entire rainbow of colors to choose from for silkscreening--so I had blue text over a white background (kind of reminds me of blueberry ice cream...)

KGSSHV back in service~ thanks to palchiu's generosity. :)  That took way less time than I anticipated.

Everything just went up in smoke :( no explosion no nothing.. just started smoking out of no where.

seems to be the lower voltage rail's cap that died because of the excess voltage. One just opened and spewed a whole bunch of smoke.. the other is hot to the touch... I guess need to up it....

The caps are rated for 25V, palchiu's trafo is running on 17-0-17 which is 24V after the bridge... I guess that got too close for comfort...

Just checked the HV rails and they are both fine. I got luck on this one... everything spewed out by the cap got blocked by the heatsink for 10m90s right next to it...

Edited by jwzhan

Sorry to hear that! :(

My trafo is 15-0-15 with 25V caps and running without problems.

Nopants is 16-0-16, I imagine also with 25 caps.

Do you think it could be something else? Prior to this you mentioned you had a problem with blowing fuses

OTOH, I may increase the caps to 35 V instead of 25:

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=EEU-FC1V331Lvirtualkey66720000virtualkey667-EEU-FC1V331L

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=EEU-HD1V332virtualkey66720000virtualkey667-EEU-HD1V332

Burning fuse is completely the trafo's fault. One of the HV winding's resistance is less than 1ohm... (the one that's still good measured something like 90ohm)

Yep, I've already put down the order for the 4700uF/35V pana caps already.

It played music fine for like 30min... until the 25V caps overheated and blew... with 15-0-15, it's only 21V after the bridge, so it's well within the 25V rated voltage... 16-0-16... might be a little too close..

well. palchiu's trafo is rated for 16-0-16 @ 1A... but the load is too light for the trafo to drop the voltage to 16V... so it stayed at around 17V... which turned out to be to much (and I forgot the caps rating... never crossed my mind as I never had problem with the low voltage rail.)

Edited by jwzhan