i'm on a roll... the kgsshv

kevin gilmore

tried to order 1000pcs of 2SK216 and 2SJ79 from utsource. they replied saying they have no stock. interesting since they seem to have around that many on ebay. so i just ordered 100pcs direct from their website, they came within a few days. Fake, and looks just like the fakes on ebay. another ebay seller even has photos of ones with the same lot code. i think the 2SK216 is a 50V npn transistor, the 2SJ79 im not even going to waste time testing. already filed a credit card dispute

It is just amazing at how brazen these resellers can be. One has to wonder whether they are in on it or whether they are willfully blind (by not testing and procuring from unknown sources). At least people know to check for these things - the problem is that most cannot properly check until they put the part in the circuit and it causes a melt down taking other expensive parts with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks good Adrian!!  :)

Some news on my end as this landed on Thursday:

Ok02NwRh.jpg

These are all the latest HV boards and hopefully this is the final version of both power supplies.  No more issues with the stacked capacitors shorting to ground, about 4 times the ground plane clearance compared to the first version, better instructions on the board and the bias supply now has a fuse when used off the prereg feed. 

I also ordered some of my power boards which make wiring the multi voltage transformers easier, especially if using more than one transformer.  Small problem as the holes intended for the CL60 are too small but they can go in the transformer mountings anyway. 

utsource emailed me to ask why i filed a chargeback for the 2sk216/2sj79 i bought off their website. they said they've never had any complaints about the parts. i'm not surprised if that's the case. most DIY projects never get built. a lot of them are probably also being used in low voltage applications where a 50V npn/pnp could be substituted and still 'work' and the DIYer doesn't know any better.

what has surprised me though is after i told them this it looks like they took their ebay listings down for those parts

I don't think I will ever sell an amp again.

Somebody bought my off board built (it has gone through 3 hands I think since I sold it) and is having problems with the fuses blowing.

He doesn't live close to home. No idea if anybody else opened it or tinkered with it.

It could be the transformer, a short somewhere.... who knows.

Edited by eggil

Ain't it grand?  :)  There have been some issues here too and they have consumed a lot of my spare time.  Simply getting replacement transformers from SumR out of customs was all but impossible and took a month.  Ended up paying 150$ in tax for free replacements.  :palm:   Goes to show how stupid the HF lot is to think I do any of this for the money.  If I'd ever sell an amp that I broke even on then I'd take it as the first sign of Ragnarök!!!  ;D

That said, two more HV's under way.  There is an output device in current production that might work at +/-450V so that needs to be tested.  The Vbr fits but there is no better test than to build a channel or two. 

The HV's nature to go all arcy sparcy and issues with finding good sand is pushing me to try a +/-400V version.  At that level it is no problem to source output devices in current production making things a whole lot easier.  We can also increase the current which is always good....