i'm on a roll... the kgsshv

kevin gilmore

It's quite clear to anybody when they touch this thing how "hot" it is running.  :)  For the record this one is running at 9mA which is what the old KGSS ran at. 

The whole "MOAR CURRENTZ!!!" issue is not something I'd like to play up as I'd dare anybody to double blind two identical amps and tell me which is which.  5.5mA means the amp stays in Class A at all times so more current as making some drastic difference is over rated.  When we started with the KGSSHV this was discussed quite a bit as I wanted onboard sinks but Kevin pushed for offboard only.  He relented only after it was clear the amp would be just fine at the lower current, hell we could make a portable version and it would still be good. 

Well I'm planning to use them in my next rev 0.6 offboard build on the amp board and the PSU board (HV where appropriate). I've seen spritzer use the PPP and Kiwame in his builds and looking at the spec sheets and they are rated at 350v normal operating voltage with a max at 700v. The Xicon's on mouser that are mostly recommended here are rated the same (and used in my current 0.4). So the question is, are the 1 to 2 watters ok to use? They have ceramic coating and not the inductive stuff like the RN50 and equivalent Dales.

Edited by DefQon

Have you measured the temperature on the tiny HVs? My small HV gets hotter than my old behemoth, but then that's no surprise. Still only 50C (give or take) on the sinks & top cover when it's warmed up.

Most of the work done on the mini in the last few months has been to monitor the temp and seeing how it behaves in warmer climates.  It runs at about 20-25°C over ambient and is a bit warmer inside.  Not too bad. 

That's nice. Do you believe everything you read?

That depends I have had positive experience with both and use Kiwames on a daily basis but HV application such as the KGSS that's where I want to know if it falls within the scope of being usable or not. I doubt both manufacturers will spoog the specs on the datasheets.

Edited by DefQon