i'm on a roll... the kgsshv

kevin gilmore

post-3649-0-98158500-1412973766_thumb.jp

post-3649-0-85223800-1412973779_thumb.jp

post-3649-0-34456600-1412976463_thumb.jp

It's done. No music to be listened yet. Getting the SR-009 in 25 days, counting down. My biggest mistake in audio was to sell the SR-007 Mk1 that I had some time ago. I think I also used to have a SRM-T1 modded by Birgir.

Unfortunately, there is like 2 unused switches at the back of the chassis to cover up some holes, and also 2 unused input jacks that were supposed to be RCA inputs. I chose to use XLR to RCA adapter instead. The big white switch at the back is also a 5A circuit breaker. 3 fuses for 100V, 115V and 230V mains voltage. Cable management still needs improvement. The Toroidy transformer is although pretty, too huge. Next time I won't get the stainless steel casing.

No more explosion, no more arky sparky, bias is stable before the ballast resistor, at a voltage of 588V, offset and balance are all within 0.5V. I let it run for hours, then adjust offset and balance, then I put in the servo.

Heartfelt thanks to Kevin, Victor, Birgir, Calvin, Kerry, and all those who aren't here but have helped me along the way. Kevin for his wisdom, Victor for his know-how, and Birgir for his support.

It's has not been easy but lately things have gone very smooth after I learned a lot of skills and tricks from Victor. He helped me rebuild the PSU board, and along with that I learnt many things accumulated from his years of experience doing DIY.  For eg, I learned to use screws with spring washers on heatsinks, then later I changed from zinc plated screws to stainless steel screws, along with ribbed washers. Zinc plated screws will stain and rust in a few years in this hot and humid tropical weather.

This build was at first to be all IXYS 01N100D parts, then it went to having Toshiba 2sc4686a and IXYS CCS. Then after some mistakes and the traces were damaged on the amp board, it went from IXYS CCS to the Sanyo 2sa1968. At first I have like a few 1968.  Now I have quite a few dozens lying around to build some stuff, after I got them for cheap from local sources.

The end of one build will be the start of another. It's been fun, building my first amp, and my first DIY project.

Out of nowhere, I suddenly found myself having quite some tubes, so maybe I will build a Megatron.  ???

post-3649-0-17106900-1412974652_thumb.jp

Edited by kh90123

Has anyone built their KGSSHV with a Joshua Tree attenuator? I'm wondering if I connecting it to one of the 16VAC secondaries would have any adverse effect on the amp. The JT doesn't use much power and it would save the trouble of installing another toroid. Thanks.

Also does anyone have 20 PEEK screws they can sell me?

• Like 1

Has anyone built their KGSSHV with a Joshua Tree attenuator? I'm wondering if I connecting it to one of the 16VAC secondaries would have any adverse effect on the amp. The JT doesn't use much power and it would save the trouble of installing another toroid. Thanks.

Well, based on TPA's published specs I can't see that that should be a problem.

//UFN