i'm on a roll... the kgsshv

kevin gilmore

The JT attenuator has a constant output impedance to make it work better as a passive preamp with cables longer than 6" ;) . This is why the input impedance is "who knows." 

It is still kind of pointless here. There are Chinese alternatives with similar step size, and cheaper overall cost - just not constant output impedance that you dont need....

Edited by nikongod

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks.  :)  The black panels are an extra headache to work on but I like a challenge.  It's a bit nuts to think about but I've built 20 mini KGSSHV's at this point in three different sizes... That's in about 6 months or so.  ;D

I've always thought your amplifiers should have acrylic or something to that effect on top, since it's a waste to cover up all the tidy internal wiring

If I ever send an amp to a show of any kind then it will have a lexan top panel.  Heavily ventilated naturally but it would be a nice fuck you to those who hide the internals.  :)

Edited by spritzer

I'll of course join the choir and say "excellent work" :)

If I ever send an amp to a show of any kind then it will have a lexan top panel.  Heavily ventilated naturally but it would be a nice fuck you to those who hide the internals.  :)

Speaking of which, can we see some topless pics of her Spritzer? :D

//UFN

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you who are lazy, or as we like to call it in the industry, efficient, the KGSSHV works with the KGST's BH power supply @ 350V. I'm doing some duration testing right now but there seems to be enough adjustment range on the pot to get down to 0V.

After it's warmed up it settles to around 15-18V, no servo. Might be enough for me to leave it. Also pretty lukewarm heatsinks, reminds me off the vanilla offboard build.

Edited by nopants

Yeah I might just case the amp boards separately from the psu so I can swap between the hv and st without buying more parts.

It sounds great but reading some asswipes comments on headfi about how it's the greatest thing since sliced bread is really detracting from my experience, fairly petty of me

Edited by nopants

A question for Kevin or Spritzer

I read there was an extensive mod to the 727 that included boards out and transistor swops, and was set out by Kevin.

Have you a link to the post please, I can't find it.

Did it succeed in bringing the 727 close to a KGSShv i.e. a big jump in sound quality, or was it just bringing it closer to the older 717?

Thanks in advance guys, I know you are busy on multiple projects!