i'm on a roll... the kgsshv

kevin gilmore

I now have practically all the bits and a half populated power supply board.

I have a question about Q9,10, 13 and 14 in the power supply. In the BOM I have, this is a 2N3904, and the bom I have gives a mouser part number 863-2N3904G, but this was not available, so I ordered a 2N4401G instead. This has similar technical data, except max voltage collector emitter (3904=0.3V, 4401=0.75v), collector dc current (3904=0.2A, 4401=0.6A, and probably most importantly, hfe min (3904=60, 4401=20). As there is a large variation in hfe, am I OK, or will it be mucking up the biasing to use the 4401? (I have probably already answered my own question, as I have decided not to risk it, and to order 3904).

I also have a question about the caps on the +-15v supplies (C11, 12, 13,14)– in the BOM these are 4700uF 25v and 100uF 50V – on the PCB of 3300uF. I am assuming that it won’t make much difference; I am just wondering if there is reason why the PCB states 3300uF (other than those parts were available)

Finally, the BOM lists 2 x 3900pF, with no circuit reference, and no voltage, and states they are “optional”. Where do they do and what should the voltage rating be?

There are quite a lot of errors in the BoM I have, for example, some quantities are incorrect (which I failed to spot before ordering), and the Mouser number for the fast switching diodes is the uninsulated (incorrect) package. I’m just sending these back in exchange for insulated ones.

I’ll set out an errata list and where I got the BoM from

Any comments will be much appreciated!

PS – I have some 4% silver solder, but am using standard 37%PB from Balver. I was thinking of using the silber only on the connections. Should I steer clear of using it on the boards?

I used 4401g without issue

You can look at different revisions of the boards, those cap values are all over the place. Use whatever fits, or stuff that is fancy. I think I had leftover fine golds from the krell that I stuffed there.

I think I had 1kv for those 3900 pf spots, but my memory is a bit fuzzy

I've used the board as a "golden" reference and it hasn't steered me wrong for 95% of the time. The remaining 5% is usually quickly sorted out by Kevin and/or Birgir.

I am having some difficulty setting the offset.

I have the v0.6 PSU (450v) and v0.6 offboard amp boards.

- Power supply outputs +/-453v and +/-16.3v

- I've been able to zero the balance on both boards

- all 3 of the LEDs on each amp board light up

- the offset hovers around +443V. Occasionally it will drop to +230V and go back up to +443. Adjusting the offset trimpot doesn't seem to affect the offset. This happens on both boards.

I noticed the nice NKK push button switches have functions that are either ON-ON or ON-(momentary ON). I'm not sure what it means to be ON-ON, I thought it should be ON-OFF? The data sheet also indicates ON-ON.

http://au.mouser.com/ProductDetail/NKK-Switches/UB16KKW01N-F/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMufv8JNQ5fVHaG9l0kRAbB%252bJnaW9ZKhTy0%3d

ON-ON is SPDT.  ON-OFF would be SPST.