i'm on a roll... the kgsshv

kevin gilmore

Personally I prefer triple blind.  In medicine, that's where the subject doesn't know what he's getting, the doctor doesn't know what he's giving, and the investigator doesn't know what he's doing. :laugh:

In the quadruple blind test the funding entity doesn't know what he's paying for, or what to do with the results.

A couple of clarifying questions about capacitors on the KGSSHV mini stereo board:

1. For the 5pF capacitors, there is no voltage marked on the silkscreen. Would this one, at 100V, be adequate?

2. There are two rectangular 1uF capacitors right next to the servos, also without voltage marked. Can I just use the same 1uF 450V Panasonic part I found for the explicitly marked caps in the center of the board?

Personally I prefer triple blind. In medicine, that's where the subject doesn't know what he's getting, the doctor doesn't know what he's giving, and the investigator doesn't know what he's doing. :laugh:

Add a randomisation, and the doctor will receive what the patient's doesn't know giving (sorry that sound weird) !

They're milspec, so that supposedly doubles the rated power to 1/2W.

ok good I'm not going crazy. Anyways in the picture I stole from somewhere else in the thread spritzer's got RN60's everywhere. I think you'll be fine, most of the stuff isn't going to see 300V

just put this together had it running for a couple of hours now sounds luuuuvly. Shame i only had a cruddy Khozmo quad pot to put in it. will be swapping it out for a nice Elma + Takman metal film resistors when it arrives.

A question i have for anyone that might know, what OP27 should i be installing? Whilst browsing Mouser or Farnell there seem to be lots of OP27's varying in price quite considerably.

KGSSHVMINISTEREOV1.jpg

I didn't realize the RN60D is a relabeled CMF60! From the datasheet:

Vishay Dale Model CMF is also available as Military Qualified Styles RN and RL. See Vishay Dale’s CMF (Military RN and RL) datasheet (www.vishay.com/doc?31027) for the MIL-SPEC ratings / attributes. (Except for marking, the Industrial and Military versions are exactly the same).

The CMF60 is rated for 500V, and its power rating ranges from 0.5W at 70°C to 1W at 125°C. That makes the RN60D suitable for almost everything we build here, doesn't it (except the T2)?

@kingofsnake: That looks great! I used Mouser part 584-OP27GPZ in my Dynalo, it worked well, so I plan to use it here also.

Edited by gepardcv

I used op27gpz.

Thanks GeorgeP. op27gpz it is.

And are you saying your experience with the new khozmo is that they still crappy (it looks like the newr one from your pic). What issues are you experiencing?

When i first used this pot i installed it in a ß22/balanced. When increasing the volume it made a clicking sound on every turn of the dial,all 41 of them. I was convinced a piece of solder had fallen through the slits that sit just under the input resistors accounting for this behaviour.

I opened the thing up Alas no solder or other foreign object had fallen through! what i saw in my opinion was TRACTOR like engineering that is to say i got the impression that it was made with a THAT WILL DO mentality.

I was not at all impressed. Pretty on the outside for sure shoddy on the inside.

Compared to a seine based pot i have somewhere it's like comparing a fiat 500 to an Aston Martin. They basically both do the same thing but one is soon much nicer than the other. The Khozmo is cheap, i guess you get what you pay for in this instance.

Some of us ancient ones recall when driving an Aston Martin was compared to driving a tractor - David Brown, the managing director of Aston and the DB of the DB-4, 5, 6, etc owned a tractor factory.

Edited by JimL