i'm on a roll... the kgsshv

kevin gilmore

Ah yes...  :palm:

What would be an appropriate wattage rating on the 12V diode by the offset?

I suppose this is the insulating pad to use for the SIC fets: http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Aavid-Thermalloy/4180G/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsiS1%252bJOF5Pn3Y9BV2SYj6ta2DYsATGOnI%3d

Which insulating washer should we use?

Edited by chiguy

Ah yes...  :palm:

What would be an appropriate wattage rating on the 12V diode by the offset?

I suppose this is the insulating pad to use for the SIC fets: http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Aavid-Thermalloy/4180G/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsiS1%252bJOF5Pn3Y9BV2SYj6ta2DYsATGOnI%3d

Which insulating washer should we use?

maybe this is what you're looking for: http://www.aavid.com/product-group/accessories/washers ...though I don't think you can find washers > 5,5mm height  the crees are  almost 5,5mm thick ... I used plastic screws and the aluminum oxide pad

As for the diode, I believe I used this http://dk.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Fairchild-Semiconductor/1N914/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtoHjESLttvkik5r7Tz9frEDfTvpuQlhm0%3d 

Edited by sorenb

Any thumbs up/down/sideways or other uncensored comments on the KGSSHV-Mini (Mjolnir) I'm getting to feed my 009?

It's a used one from a few years back I think, the one w/ about a foot-square footprint (that's ~ .31 meters square for those who think metric), 400V I'm told.

'finally giving up on the 007t2 amp.

Thx.

Any thumbs up/down/sideways or other uncensored comments on the KGSSHV-Mini (Mjolnir) I'm getting to feed my 009?

It's a used one from a few years back I think, the one w/ about a foot-square footprint (that's ~ .31 meters square for those who think metric), 400V I'm told.

'finally giving up on the 007t2 amp.

Thx.

The Mjolnir KGSSHV-Mini is a pretty fine amp - not a full blown KGSSHV, simpler PSU and a bit lower voltage swing but more current as you have been told ...

I guess it also depends on how old/new you 009s are ....the early one I have heard sounded artificial ....there has been postings on the newer 009s being better though

Have you been searching Head-Fi? there might be loads of comments in this regard

Edited by sorenb

Thanks for that. My 009 is sz9-15xx that I got 3 yrs ago directly from Stax. I don't know what to make of this bass-heavy 009 talk. But FWIW, artificial is the last adjective I would apply to my 009.

I hear some amazing Real-ness that I did not hear with my previous SR007 mark 1s or my Lambda Novas many years back. When everything falls into place, my 009 is sweet with the fastest bass on earth.

Yep, got the KG HV mini. Great amp; tames the 009 into much less of a wild animal. Listened for hours of fun + excitement w/minimal cringing. For some reason, 'sounds better with the SE inputs on this early model, less shrieky, and every little bit of Quaaludes or Serotinin helps the 009, as long as you don't mess with the tight bass. Nice work Spritzer- big thanks for this creation.

• Like 1

I was thinking of about 20mA per leg with 4 legs for both channels.  There is some additional current required on the negative rail, I forgot how much, but I used 22mA x 4 = 88mA per rail.  I then multiplied by 4 which is a reasonable factor for power requirements on the transformer.  Some would suggest 5x.

So 88mA x 4 = 352mA which would give approximately a 250VA rating (not counting the LV of about 18VA).  For the Blue Hawaii I use 350VA transformers and sometimes more. 

Thanks.

I've been thinking about whether I want to use a 400 or 450V PSU for my Carbon build, and honestly don't know. Not sure how much output current to go for, either. Given the height of the caps, I'll probably use a 3U Dissipante case (the 300mm deep version, though, not the 400), so plenty of heatsink area. Any guidelines or suggestions on the tradeoffs? I will primarily use a 007A (the recent "Mk2.9"), and I don't listen very loud.

Could you elaborate on that spritzer? I guess you have the most experience here with building these amps so far. What transformer specs do you use then? Do they misbehave?

With the conventional KGSSHV and KGST there have also been some recommendations on what transformer specs to use. And I haven't had the slightest problem so far. How is the Carbon different?

I was thinking of about 20mA per leg with 4 legs for both channels.  There is some additional current required on the negative rail, I forgot how much, but I used 22mA x 4 = 88mA per rail.  I then multiplied by 4 which is a reasonable factor for power requirements on the transformer.  Some would suggest 5x.

So 88mA x 4 = 352mA which would give approximately a 250VA rating (not counting the LV of about 18VA).  For the Blue Hawaii I use 350VA transformers and sometimes more. 

my own thinking in this rgrd was based on the recommandation for a 150VA for the KGSShv ...and since the Carbon pulls 4*16mA more I ended up at 200VA

The Blue Hawaii is pulling a lot more I guess ....at least if you take the heathers into account?

I guess it boils down to the "reasonable factor" for how much overhead you want ...

The Carbon isn't any different when it comes to transformers but it is just a massive crap shoot to source transformers.  Half of my Toroidy units buzz but the other half don't, some even don't work flat out so they clearly aren't testing.  This is from a good supplier so imagine the bad ones.   The ones I'm using in the Carbon are 335V/200mA but they were extensively tested and I went through three samples just to make sure they were ok.  Also no singles here, you need to spend 2k$ on a single order or they won't talk to you. 

I had some R-cores come in recently that will have to be tested too. 

I am quite surprised of you experience with toroidy too. Of course you have ordered way more transformer so far than I ever will, but the ones I got from toroidy were perfect. I was going to order one from toroidy for the carbon too, but now I am not so sure about that anymore...