i'm on a roll... the kgsshv

kevin gilmore

that is the company I buy from, but I go for the Teflon.

its more expensive, but I have the right stripper and always

liked Teflon.

What stripper do you use for the Teflon - I always strip by hand, which is a pain (the sickos can read this any way they want).

Thanks all for your responses.

I bought a bunch of Belden 83006 from hndme.com for this build. 22AWG, 19X34, silver platter copper, multistrand wire with Teflon coating. Rated at 600V, 200C. Easy and nice to work with.

I primarily bought them for B+ wiring. I'll use them for wiring the amp to the socket as well.

To eggil's question; I've read that Teflon insulation is preferred due to its superior dialectic property. I also find it to have good resistance to heat while soldering.

I have music!

Wired up XLR connectors and the headphone socket from Justin. Hooked up the Buffalo DAC to the KGSSHV, plugged in the SR007, I have been listening to music for the past 2 hours and had a hard time pulling myself away from it to do anything else.

Many many thanks again to Kevin for the ingenious design and Birgir, John, Pars and many others that helped me make this possible.

Although I do not have anything other than a multimeter to test the amp and PSU, the KGSSHV is dead silent without signal feed. I think this can serve as a validation that the KGSSHVAMPV16MINI and KGSSHVPSMINIFINALSTN9360 Gerber files and resulting PCBs are good.

Now I have to decide if I should continue to listen to music or get to bed...

I have music!

Wired up XLR connectors and the headphone socket from Justin. Hooked up the Buffalo DAC to the KGSSHV, plugged in the SR007, I have been listening to music for the past 2 hours and had a hard time pulling myself away from it to do anything else.

Many many thanks again to Kevin for the ingenious design and Birgir, John, Pars and many others that helped me make this possible.

Although I do not have anything other than a multimeter to test the amp and PSU, the KGSSHV is dead silent without signal feed. I think this can serve as a validation that the KGSSHVAMPV16MINI and KGSSHVPSMINIFINALSTN9360 Gerber files and resulting PCBs are good.

Ha ha! Go to bed!

And well deserved congratulations :)

I havent seen any pics of your latest builds, John.

My latest KGSSHV off board, sans volume pot is a ways off.

I've completed the chassis design and have fpe files ready to go.

I'm using HeatsinkUSA's 10inch profiles, which I'll get CamExpert to drill along with the other panels.

The brackets are all going to be made my me, lots of cutting drilling and tapping to be done.

I've been catching up on drilling technique for accurately positioned holes... I hate drilling period, but I've invested in some nice tools, so hopefully fingers crossed I'll get good results.

I have music!...

Congrats!

I took the hammer drill and ran a hole - big enough for Stax extension cable - through the wall to bedroom. Now I listen in bed. Still married.

My latest KGSSHV off board, sans volume pot is a ways off.

I've completed the chassis design and have fpe files ready to go.

I'm using HeatsinkUSA's 10inch profiles, which I'll get CamExpert to drill along with the other panels.

The brackets are all going to be made my me, lots of cutting drilling and tapping to be done.

I've been catching up on drilling technique for accurately positioned holes... I hate drilling period, but I've invested in some nice tools, so hopefully fingers crossed I'll get good results.

What nice tools you end up getting? (Always keen to learn how to do metal work better)

I bought a Ryobi drill press from Bunnings, it is inaccurate like fck, gotta do a lot of manual compensation to get holes positioned... I think a simple centre punch will go a long way to drilling better :P

Congrats! Pics or it didn't happen :)

I will try post some pics tomorrow.

This KGSSHV and SR007 combo is very addictive. I cannot stop listening to it. I went almost 5 hours straight last night listening to one piece after another. I am a newbie to the electrostatic transducer world but have been in the audiophile hobby for more than 30 years and I am hearing things I have not previously experienced. I am hooked.

On another note, I am finding out the same thing others have reported - the temperature affects the offset quite a bit (but not the balance). The weather has gotten warmer yesterday and I could not get one channel's offset to below 5V. It's a bit cooler today and I mounted the heatsinks to the chassis which also contributes to the lower running temprature and I have no problem getting the offset on both channels to zero. I had planned to replace the 2K resistor in serie with the offset pot but may not need to do that any more. Hope sharing this experience will help some new builders.

I have not plug the servo ICs in yet - want to observe a bit more so I have a better handle on how the balance and offset behave.

Back to more music!

Edited by mwl168

What nice tools you end up getting? (Always keen to learn how to do metal work better)

I bought a Ryobi drill press from Bunnings, it is inaccurate like fck, gotta do a lot of manual compensation to get holes positioned... I think a simple centre punch will go a long way to drilling better :P

Just some centre drill bits and an automatic centre punch nothing too exciting, my drill press is a Ryobi from Bunnings as well and it sure is quirky...

If I remember correct I replaced 2K resistor with 1.5K to be able to zero out offset.

Maybe we should consult member Kerry for a fully automatic offset control. Look at this

On hindsight, I should have started with 1.5K instead of 2K in the R26 position. I had planned to do so while I was planning for the build just forgot about it when I sourced parts.

I read Kerry's post but don't understand it - how does it differ from the servo on the board?