i'm on a roll... the kgsshv

kevin gilmore

@JimL: I believe that I've learned my lesson in that regard  :-)

@Spritzer: "The heatsink is grounded so it doesn't make any sense that it shorts there.  Also no traces too close to that spot...   Weird... " Well ....maybe the heatsinks are grounded if you're done doing the mounting ... but since I was expecting something to go wrong I skipped the soldering of the heatsinks ... so even though the sinks will be grounded just by touching the side of the holes I actually manged to have a few that doesn't ... I guess that explains why I experience different readings on my DMM at the same spots after wrikling the board up side down a few times...

The mark I've spotted is the only visual I could find, (apart from the two sources on the input fets) and assumed (wrongly) that the air hold edge was ground (I've checked my board and it is not)

@nopants: I believe that the input fets in my Spritzer build is a pair of 170's ... and to my ears the Spritzer build sounds a bit better than mine

BTW when putting on music for the first time I grabed a random CD from the box I have stoved them away in (only using NAS and good old LPs) ...turned out that it was in fact: Tower of Power's Monster on a leash ...in fact it is!

@Joamat, Johnmclean: Thanks to everybody contributing to the thread I manged to pull it off.

Edited by sorenb

Are you using a torque driver to do this? I don't know how else you'd assess how you're actually screwing things (in/up). However I'll go ahead andl note that Craig Sawyers mentioned in another thread that thermal interfacing reduces the sensitivity to torque.

Yup, that's an amber led.  Quite partial to it which is why I just got 200 of these switches today...  ;D

Are all of these switches created equal? I'm looking at some Chinese stuff and Bulgin/Schurter options and the price differences are almost silly

@nopants: "Are you using a torque driver to do this? I don't know how else you'd assess how you're actually screwing things (in/up). However I'll go ahead andl note that Craig Sawyers mentioned in another thread that thermal interfacing reduces the sensitivity to torque." - I use a light but firm grib, and as soon as my fingers tend to slip I let go ... I'm pretty sure that I do not over teighten things ...

Put this together the other day boards are from the recent group buy that mwl168 organised (many thanks again). This is my first successful KGSSHV build and i am amazed i have actually assembled a working amp. Many thanks of course has to go to Mr Kevin Gilmore and Spritzer for this amazing ever evolving project.

20150510_120142.jpg20150510_120247.jpg20150510_120324.jpg20150510_120417.jpg20150510_131739.jpg

• Like 1

Congrats: Kingofsnake

is like if the dust have only just settled before the amp emerged ;o)

pretty good build you have there, even the lead for the caps got a redtube ;o)

Thanks sorenb.

Farnell were out of 0.1uf/1kv film capacitors but had these o.1uf/1.5kv film capacitors in stock. there pretty big and this was the easiest way i could mount them. The red tube covering the leads is silicone to prevent any chance of shorting, being as there is so much lead exposed.

Looks good!!  :)  Where did you get that R-core?  I've been trying to find somebody to sell me good ones for a while now... 

I got it from e-bay seller findhifi. Im not sure if he still goes by that name as when i click on his username it returns a homepage but with no items for sale!!

Give sep_store168 a try as i think he has similar transformers. Thanks for the kind words by the way.

what cabling did you use there - I can't make it out from the printing on the sheath.

Thanks for the kind comments.

The cable i use for signal is this...http://www.audiospares.com/product.php?productid=2970&cat=490&page=1

the cable i use for voltage is this ....http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Red-19-0-25-PTFE-teflon-silver-plated-copper-wire-/380366586627?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item588f9d8303 he has quite a selection. good quality cable me thinks and affordable.

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind comments.

The cable i use for signal is this...http://www.audiospares.com/product.php?productid=2970&cat=490&page=1

the cable i use for voltage is this ....http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Red-19-0-25-PTFE-teflon-silver-plated-copper-wire-/380366586627?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item588f9d8303 he has quite a selection. good quality cable me thinks and affordable.

Awesome thanks for the info - I'm always looking out for good internal cabling/wiring. Sick of using the canare stuff, that screen is a mofo.

wow, all the holes on the bottom in a straight line.

good job.  resistors really did not have to be that far off the board, but

looks nice, all even.

I'm sure birgir has a picture of a particular persons build

(cough cough henyo cough cough) where the bottom of the thing

was attacked with a hand drill  :D

and he should post it.

Edited by kevin gilmore