i'm on a roll... the kgsshv

kevin gilmore

That price is twice as expansive as the one at digikey...

Yes - because the part is made in the US, then has to travel several thousand miles to get to Farnell. So I can either buy at half the price from Digikey, then pay shipping to the UK plus tax, then wait a week for them to arrive, and then drive 40 miles round trip to collect from Parcel Force to pay the tax. Alternatively I can get them the next day from Farnell, cheaper in overall terms (no 40 mile round trip etc etc).

The only place that really has international trade sorted out is Mouser. They have arranged with UK customs to charge tax in advance, then offer free shipping for orders over $100. On a big project, peppered with Dale resistors and other fancy stuff, I can order on line and the damned stuff arrives from the US through my mail box two days later. Digikey has something to learn.

Kevin I would love to buy a set of boards and whatever but ... I would need a member who would be willing to build this beast for me? Any chance one of you talented guys/gals would be willing to do so. If you are could the amp be completed by mid December? I know I am asking a lot but I would not trust myself to build this monster. Thanks and please shoot me a PM to further discuss cost and schedule. Thanks.

Not to mention their temperature is in Fahrenheit. =.='' Come to Canada instead. :cool:

Massively off-topic, but.....

A branch of my family did just that, in 1921. Looking forward to a life in the coal mines of North East England, Adam McKinght uprooted his family (wife and two children) and off they went to Vancouver. And there that branch of the family live to this day. Actually 80 years previously to that, his grandparents escaped from Ireland just at the start of the potato famine in the 1840's, and found their way to the NE to become coal miners.

Given these traumatic events, I'm sure they ended up with a much better life (Adam McKnight opened a general store in Nanaimo; better for sure than hewing coal).

And yes - I got heavily into family history a few years ago.

CMIIW, i should follow kevin and the rest of the pack to buy the board first then sit pretty wait for the BOM to come out ?

There are some versions of the BOM lurking earlier in the thread. But I'm a relative newcomer to this electrocution-grade amp thread - I've been concentrating on KG's ultimate madness - the T2. Just got the power supply board and three transformers mounted in the power supply chassis. Without the front and top it is nearly a hernia lift - it is Krell-like mass, must be 30lbs+. And then there is the amp....

That animal operates from +500 to -560V rails, plus others at 250V, -260V, +/-12V. I'm really taking my time and doing the build with real electrical best practice - there is just no room for error, or getting a finger in the wrong place.

But somewhere not too distant down the line, I'd like to have the option of building the KGSSHV - hence the request for a board set. I has just got to be cheaper and easier than the T2, which runs to several thousand of whatever currency takes your fancy, and more construction hours than a sane man can safely contemplate.

There isn't much to the BOM to be honest. All the resistors will be the 1/2W Xicon units we used for the T2 (the Vishay RN60's are only rated for 300V) but you can also use the 1/2W PRP's and other resistors designed for use in tube amps (i.e. with high voltage handling). The values for everything are on the board as well.

There are still some things that have to be ironed out like for instance who will handle the distribution of the boards (probably me) and are we going to include any parts with the boards. Not everything can be bought from Mouser so are we going to include those parts in some kind of a kit.

If lurkers are eligible, I'd love a boardset and whatever stuff gets offered as a package with it.

If 2SA1968 are sourced and available for anything close to $.70 ea, I will commit to buying couple hundred extra to bump up the volume discount.

Back under my rock now ....

I could use a triple fist full of those myself!