Audio Furniture Recommendation

luvdunhill

So, looks like I won't get to a nice 80/20 based rack, as my wife as vetoed the aesthetic. She wants something totally closed (of course) and there's no way I can let that happen to do heat considerations. What we've compromised on, is something like this, in fact exactly like this would be great, but it needs to be able to house a 17" depth component...

Any recommendations of things with a similar look?

MV208_1?rgn=0,0,2000,2000&scl=5.434782608695652&fmt=jpeg

Otherwise, making something like this is just about as hard as lighting up a LED in a switch, right? (hint, hint, nudge, nudge) :)

Otherwise, making something like this is just about as hard as lighting up a LED in a switch, right? (hint, hint, nudge, nudge) :)

That's funny! :rofl:

But if I can get you to a point that you can finish up the speakers, then I could build you something exactly like that, only deeper. That actually looks like a fun project, but I'd wager the time involved would be infinitely greater than the time involved in lighting up a momentary switch on a certain β22. :D The cost to build vs. buy a piece of furniture like that will be substantial.

I'll soon be facing a similar situation. So, a dumb question: What does 80/20 mean in the context of racks?

And if anybody has any great aesthetic suggestions whose style I could, ah, be inspired by (knock off), once my lazy ass gets done building some other stuff, they would be appreciated.

And if anybody has any great aesthetic suggestions whose style I could, ah, be inspired by (knock off), once my lazy ass gets done building some other stuff, they would be appreciated.
Billy Bags -- I'm a huge fan of the industrial cross-brace esthetic.

Otherwise, go flexy. (Or is it spelled, 'flexi'?)

I'll soon be facing a similar situation. So, a dumb question: What does 80/20 mean in the context of racks?

It's a type of extruded aluminum. Kind of like erector sets for grown up boys. The same that these Steve Blinn stands are made of...

http://pic8.audiogon.com/i/s/f/1272240826.jpg

• 2 years later...

Instead of starting yet another furniture thread, I figured I would tag onto Marc's old one. I am looking for wall-mount shelves for a/v components for under a flat screen. Problem is I need something that can hold 60 pounds because my McCormack amp will be one of the components. Most Sanus stuff goes up to 50 pounds and it is glass, which seems risky. Billy Bags has some pricey and inflexible shelves but probably won't work unless I buy two separate turntable stands for a shitload of money. Any other ideas?

Here is one Sanus option that can support the weigh:

31vfR4zUaeL.jpg

But it looks kind of ugly underneath the TV:

51BmjtsJcaL.jpg

51VRoNkjl9L.jpg

Making a custom hanging rack is not difficult, but I think with that weight requirement whatever you get is going to need to be mounted to two of your existing wall studs, via lag bolts.

A custom rack of 3/4" cabinet grade Baltic Birch comes to mind, because you can cut out rectangular holes on the side panels, between the shelves, to lighten the look, without compromising structure. Veneer the pieces with Walnut veneer (to match your Core Audio racks), but leave the plywood edges raw (sanded, rounded and stained to match the walnut, but with that cool, modern look of the layered plywood veneer cores).

If I were more proficient at drawing on the computer, I could get the design idea across better.

I'd love custom design ideas, Steve, but this is for Mayberry and will be mounted on the knotty pine paneling so you will have to adjust your mental image. The room is narrow so the wall mount idea will be the best use of space, although I agree with Jacob that a good floor standing rack can be just about as flush to the wall. Still, I think the wall mount plan will be the "lightest" visually, which is why I don't like that big Sanus thing with the black backing, wide shelves, etc.

I have actually thought about using this kind of computer rack system shelf:

989137_MC1.jpg

I have some of these from scavenging at an old office, and have mounted them upside down so that it becomes a flat shelf and the vertical piece gives it more rigidity. Anyway, they would not be attractive but might just disappear altogether.

I'd love custom design ideas, Steve, but this is for Mayberry and will be mounted on the knotty pine paneling so you will have to adjust your mental image. The room is narrow so the wall mount idea will be the best use of space, although I agree with Jacob that a good floor standing rack can be just about as flush to the wall. Still, I think the wall mount plan will be the "lightest" visually, which is why I don't like that big Sanus thing with the black backing, wide shelves, etc.

I have actually thought about using this kind of computer rack system shelf:

989137_MC1.jpg

I have some of these from scavenging at an old office, and have mounted them upside down so that it becomes a flat shelf and the vertical piece gives it more rigidity. Anyway, they would not be attractive but might just disappear altogether.

Ah, I see, that does change things.

I actually quite like your rack mount metal shelves. They could be powdercoated to look better. A hammered Copper finish perhaps, or something matching an existing rug, throw pillow etc...