Retro-Fi

JimP

Thanks to HC, I've pieced together a bedroom system consisting of:

- McCormack Micro Headphone Drive (MHD)

- Rotel RCD971

- Etymotic ER-4s

I've tired of IEMs (ie sticking things in my ear) and these old ER-4s have been sitting in my desk drawer for years - sometimes I tried to sell it, but out of laziness it just sat there tucked away. Then I acquired the RCD971 (because I was in a weird GD phase and HDCD seemed pertinent). Then I acquired the MHD, which is the key here. I remember not too long ago when I was a piss-poor student and I lusted after McCormack gear, and the MHD popped up here on HC, and I couldn't resist.

It was not planned this way, but this old gear - MHD + RCD971 +ER4s - sounds righteously amazing! I lay catatonic listening to this system, as wifey rolls her eyes. I'm not saying this is THE system, as I'm sure there are many other combinations, but I could honestly sell everything and live with this. Again, the key I believe is the MHD - it is my 'Rosebud'. Here is a generic picture of the MHD off the web (too lazy to snap my own pictures).

Latest is not necessarily the greatest - I wish I stumbled on this combo early on. So what is your (ancient) gear that still punches above its weight?

mhdpicture.jpg

ps: I alternate between ER4S and HD580 with the MHD, but its the ER4S that synergizes with the MHD the best.

pps: I also acquired a MLD on HC recently; another 'Rosebud' to build a speaker system around!

My system is a mix of vintage and new/DIY gear. The retro side consists of my Sansui TU-888 tuner that I really love, my AKG K1000 that is still my all time favorite headphone, my Tice Audio (no relation) Multi Branch power conditioner and my Parasound C/BD-2000 belt driven CD transport.

The modern gear is all DIY and consists of a balanced 4 channel β22 w/dual σ22s, a TPA balanced Darwin source selector and an incoming, all out Buffalo II DAC being built by Naaman as we speak.

This mix has culminated into my dream rig. With the exception of the Buffalo which I haven't yet heard, but my high hopes are well supported.

I haven't heard either the McCormack or the Ety's, but both seem to have a rep as solid performers. The Rotel I am familiar with. It uses 2xPCM63 DACs with a PMD100 digital filter. The PMD100 is still very well thought of as are the PCM63s. The output stage can be improved (greatly), but it is a solid CDP. Spritzer had one of these; I have an RCD-991 which is similar (but larger), which I really like.

My oldest piece is a 1977-79 Marantz 2238B receiver which I am currently using at the office as a headphone amp. I am waiting to use it to drive an Stax SRD7 and an AKG K1000. Sure look forward to hearing how well or poor it will sound.

With the rapid rate of turnover, what exactly qualifies as retro/vintage? I am thinking I am all retro :palm: , no wait my transport has to qualify ( hmmm it has already been discontinued )

sure things are my tuner - 1950's Eico tube , probably all my headphones , transdac , cyrus ..... aaah frikk, beginning to feel old, I even remember the McCormack being released back in the 90's

..dB

• 2 weeks later...