CIAudio VDA-1 + VAC-1 vs. ?

Bob_McBob

I'm in the market for a proper (i.e. non-iPod) source, and I was hoping you guys could help me out. My current home rig consists of a Dynahi, Millett, and RS-1s (with said iPod as source). The Channel Islands Audio VDA-1 has been suggested by a couple of people as being good value on the used market, and I'm currently in touch with someone selling one with the VAC-1 and "Revelation Audio Labs" cable for around $400. I have been doing some DAC research on head-fi, but it is hard to get impressions of the VDA-1 vs. other DACs, as it's discontinued.

The price is a little steep, but a bit better than you might think, as the seller is also Canadian (I avoid 14% tax and $25 shipping). I am giving some serious though to selling my Millett and just sticking with the Dynahi to help finance it. I would love to hear from anyone who has compared it with other similarly-priced DACs. Is this something I should be looking at, or would my money be better spent elsewhere? This will likely be my last major purchase for my headphone setup, as I am really trying to concentrate on my photography gear, so I would like to get something I can stick with.

I would be using my computer as the source. I'll need to buy a new sound card for proper bit perfect output -- I have an Audigy 2 ZS right now, which is fine for gaming but obviously not much good for this. All my stuff is regular 44.1kHz from CDs. I have a decent CD collection, but a larger downloaded collection. Right now my stuff is mainly 224kbps AAC, but I will certainly do some testing with lossless. Does that help?

Not enough information.

What are you using as a transport?

If you want to use the DAC with your computer, does your computer have a SPDIF output?

What bit-rate are your files in?

Do you own the discs? Or are you a downloading fool?

Reply to my PM! I've been dieing to buy those CDs you told me about

Well, it looks like I have essentially closed the deal with the guy. Now I just need to wait until his new DAC arrives. In the mean time, I should probably pick up a new sound card and digital cable.

I have heard good things about the Chaintech AV-710 with flashed firmware used solely as a digital output to a DAC. On the other hand, I have also hear bad thing... very useful indeed! For the cable, I am thinking of just picking up an eBay special toslink, or grabbing one from bluejeanscables. My "listening station" (i.e. comfy chair) is across the room from the computer. Are there any issues with toslink cables at lengths of 10-15ft?

Yeah, I know it is not the best option, but I'm not sure I have the cash for a huge outlay on sound card/cable after paying for the DAC. What is the cheapest "decent" option for a sound card with coax digital outputs? The AV-710 is about $25 and can be made to output bit perfect, but obviously toslink only.

Yeah, I know it is not the best option, but I'm not sure I have the cash for a huge outlay on sound card/cable after paying for the DAC. What is the cheapest "decent" option for a sound card with coax digital outputs? The AV-710 is about $25 and can be made to output bit perfect, but obviously toslink only.

Grab an M-Audio Audiophile USB off ebay.

Personally, I think that in a computer as source setup Toslink is actually preferable as it is immune to most of the noise that is rampant in such a system. For a CD player to DAC setup I would go with RCA, BNC or AES in a hearbeat as they actually do sound better... but for a computer it is too hard to make them happy enough to truely shine.