12Ls v. A5s

blessingx

I know this has been asked a few times, though search came up empty. With a move recently thought I run a quick test to see if I could replace the Quad 12L actives with the more simple to use Audioengine A5s. Was kinda disappointed when the 12Ls arrived that they required a pre or variable output. Was hoping the level switches would be good enough. And since I installed, the girlfriend has shown little interest hunting down even more switches behind boxes to activate.

Anyway, placed the A5s on top of the 12Ls which are on speaker stands about 5 feet apart. Sat nearly the same back. Threw on Bill Frisell's Blues Dream on the DVD-2900 plugged into the Parasound 1600 and then the GS-1 (A5 loop/12L pre) and alternated.

As it was a personal test about replacement, that was answered quickly after a single CD (and thus maybe not much use to others), I won't be going into lots of details, but I'll be sticking with the 12Ls for primary use for now. The A5s will return to the bedroom, but if the above real practical considerations (toss size and ipod/airport connections in there also) increase, who knows?

Both sounded damn good for their likely uses, and with their prices so different are arguably not in the same class, but I've got both here and can say the 12Ls beat the A5s in every basic sonic test - subtlety in quiet passages, staging, separation, detail, clarity, bottom slam, balance, decay, etc. A5s most obviously sounded a bit congested and Grado-like forced in comparison. Others have said the A5s may be held back by their amp, which while I never felt before, is a possibility.

Most of this was apparent by the first tune, but again this is only in comparison. I could easily live with either set and I think the A5s are killer at their price (especially with web coupons floating around). Hard to comment on bang-for-buck or upgrade-worth as these are near-field monitors and setups using them tend to be compromised in one way or another. If three feet apart on a desk and two feet from your head their differences would likely lessen.

I know a few other members have/had both sets and can perhaps chime in also.

I share your semi-frustration with the power switches on the 12L's and I'm actually working on something for that. My plan is to use a switched AC relay coupled to a box with two receptacles for the 12L power cords so that a single switch can safely turn them on and off without the annoyance of giving them each a reach around. Should I arrive at something remotely approaching elegant I'll share it.

Aww, that makes me feel good. I think they were the best audio buy I ever made at $500, new.

Did I start this whole 12L active buying spree? I remember when I bought them, I owned a pair of 22L's. I'd never heard of active QUAD's and saw them up on ebay. I was such a believer in this bi-amp active stuff that I got rid of the 22L's in favour of the actives. When I got the shipping box I saw that they had been shipped directly from IAG America, and were NIB.

No, sorry, I wasn't responding to the whole power switch discussion, was referring to this:

Was kinda disappointed when the 12Ls arrived that they required a pre or variable output. Was hoping the level switches would be good enough.
See that little knob right below the power switch in Nate's pic? That's the level adjustment. I realize it's not convenient, but I haven't found I change them much, once I set the to the appropriate value.

I share your semi-frustration with the power switches on the 12L's and I'm actually working on something for that. My plan is to use a switched AC relay coupled to a box with two receptacles for the 12L power cords so that a single switch can safely turn them on and off without the annoyance of giving them each a reach around. Should I arrive at something remotely approaching elegant I'll share it.

I never understood why Quad didn't put an input trigger on their actives. Back when I was pondering actives a couple of these popped up on Audiogon/eBay:

Discontinued Products > SCAMP/Signal Controlled Amplifier Power

Good luck and yes, please let me know. ;)

See that little knob right below the power switch in Nate's pic? That's the level adjustment. I realize it's not convenient, but I haven't found I change them much, once I set the to the appropriate value.
Right, but are you using that for everyday volume control? With the 1600 output I can barely turn the knob before the loudness is overpowering - thus the need for a variable source or pre adjustments, in at least my case. Was really hoping the levels would have been enough.

Right, but are you using that for everyday volume control? With the 1600 output I can barely turn the knob before the loudness is overpowering - thus the need for a variable source or pre adjustments, in at least my case. Was really hoping the levels would have been enough.
Yeah, I don't have that problem at all (am using a Audio Alchemy DDE for input). Mine's at about a quarter turn, but if I'm listening to an MFSL disk or something (or the other extreme -- something terribly brickwalled), then I'll need to turn it a smidgeon, but since it's at the office (I.E. I don't usually listen to MFSL or metal at the office), this is almost never an issue.

1600 must run pretty "hot".

I also have both the 12Ls and A5 and find your assessment pretty much spot on. I am curious to try the A5s powered by something other then the built in amp. The A5s also have a bit of a balance issue at low volume levels. Thought I was going crazy till I read the FAQ on the AE website.

I am using the 12Ls connected directly to a Buffalo DAC with a Volumite which works just fine. As for the power switches, the only reason I turn them off is because they are currently in my office/living-room/bedroom and the blue LEDs are pretty bright. I have half a mind to turn them down a bit.