Canjam 2010 Meet Impressions

postjack

I'm slightly late but here are my impressions for CJ 10. The meet was marvelously well run by the CJ team. Big thanks to Jim, Mike, Chris, Ryan, Kevin and Bryan for a job very well done.

I go to meets mostly to meet and socialize with HC members. CJ 10 was a great chance to meet many of the mid-western HCers and they certainly are as much fun as the other HCers I've previously met. It was also great to meet our volcano expert, Thor, and to see Doug and others that I know again. HC people are just a great group.

I didn't listen to much equipment, but here goes:

1. KGT2 - I listened to this after the water incident with SR-404LE headphones (I think). The system sounded wonderful. The people that are building/getting this amp are in for a real treat.

2. Apex Pinacle and Beyerdynamic T1 headphones - I didn't listen long to this setup, but it sounded very nice. This was the best I've heard the T1 sound. I wish that I would have had some HD800 to compare as I know them much better. Great amp but I'm not spending $10K for an amp anytime soon.

3. Apex Peak and DT880 - This was the first time I've heard both the amp and the headphones, so what I heard may be due to either or to both. I didn't like the Peak/DT880 combo. I felt that it was a bit slow and rolled off on the highs.

4. LCD2 with tube and ss versions of a Cavalli amp (forget the name). The LCD2s sounded good with both amps, but the room was way too noisy to make any serious judgments about either the headphones or the amps.

Best sound at CJ 10 - The live performance by the Michael Arnopol Trio. Hearing them live reminds me of how much better that is than listening to recorded music, even with the best equipment.

I was lucky enough to win a pair of Westone ES-5 IEMs on Sunday. I didn't hear them. Can anybody who did listen to them give us your impressions. I'd especially like to know what JH-13/16 owners think of them and how they compare to their JH-13/16s.

Oh yeah, best beer of the meet easily goes to 3 Floyds. Thanks for organizing the Friday trip Mike, it was great. The Sunday trip was great too! :)

Forgot that you won the ES5's!

I had a chance to check them out. Now obviously I am comparing the modified universal version of the ES5 to what I heard universal wise with the 16/3a, 13, and 16, but generally speaking, the overall sound signature of the ES5 appeared to be tilted more towards the top, with a slightly thinner character in the lower mids and bass, whereas the JH's were definitely fuller yet still retained nice detail and sparkle. The ES5 top end I would say sounded more present but to my ears just a tad bit of etch came into play. This using my ipod into slim. Its leagues beyond my se530's and I am sure the custom one would sound better, as I heard an anomaly here or there with the universal versions of the JH's. If I won ES5's I would be happy :)

I managed to try Giordano's, Pizzeria Uno, Edwardo's, and Gino's East while I was in Chicago (and in that order too), and I have to say Pizzeria Uno and Gino's East were the best ones. The other two just weren't as good IMO.

I liked Gino's better. I would've liked to have tried Uno's. I've eaten at the bastardized ones in Ohio.

I liked Gino's better. I would've liked to have tried Uno's. I've eaten at the bastardized ones in Ohio.

I used to live in Ohio and now live in Chicago. Unfortunately, the bastardized Uno's in Ohio barely resembles the real thing.

Hard to sample every pizza joint in Chicago in one weekend. I think you guys did a great job trying!

Now Doug who said anything about pizza actually made the authentic italian way? :)

Yeah, well, saying the best Chicago style pizza is a little like saying, "my favorite car, among those manufactured by Renault." That said, Medici pizza isn't too bad -- better than Gino's/Uno/Giordano's/Edwardo's/Malnates/et al. at any rate.

I was always (well, at least as long as I've lived in Chicago and there was one around) partial to Edwardo's, but I prefer thin crust pizza. I really don't like Lou Malnati's, but have only eaten at the one in Naperville. There used to be a place downtown Naperville that had great deep dish and thin pizza; Leonardo's. Driven out like many downtown N'Ville in favor of national chains :palm:

Living in Hyde Park, where we have a Giordano's, an Edwardo's, and Medici's, I have to say that I'm partial towards Edwardo's, because they put less cheese in their stuffed pies. Giordano's drown their pies in cheese, and I can't stomach it after just one slice.

Yeah, I saw that too... major wtf moment... someone uses an Apache on their demo rig, and its written up as if rsa was there. Not sure who had the rudi shit (moon?). Rudi was invited, as weil as sovkiller. Never saw qables stuff, so not sure where that was.

Yeah, I saw that too... major wtf moment... someone uses an Apache on their demo rig, and its written up as if rsa was there. Not sure who had the rudi shit (moon?). Rudi was invited, as weil as sovkiller. Never saw qables stuff, so not sure where that was.

Yeah, that's unfortunate. But that's still a pretty great review of the Meet.