Vicki...The only Queen at CanJam?

swt61

Steve and Shelly, I went to Vassar, which has a sizable gay population both male and female. Several of my friends went through--and in some cases are still going through--the painful and courageous process of coming out to their friends and family. (I also have the Vassar gay population largely to thank for my finding a wife so far out of my league. ;) ). I hope it is becoming less painful. Hopefully, one day soon, it won't take the amount of guts that it currently requires. One of my uncles was gay, but was never able to feel at peace with himself (for many reasons in addition to having a difficult time coming out). He killed himself years ago. I wish he'd had a community like this one where he felt safe and confident with himself and his friendships such that he would know that friends don't care about such things. I just want my friends to be happy. And Steve, this is why the reason for your coming out this way is important. You're absolutely right, there are still men and women out there struggling and feeling isolated because they feel like they will not be accepted--and in some cases won't be accepted--if and when they come out. To want to help people in that position is very much consistent with the great guy I finally got to meet this weekend.

And you're still freaks, of course. Just like the rest of us. :)

Then again, two of my closest gay friends are married and adopted a baby girl recently. Two dads can be better than one! But no boobies. They're both too fit even for the man variety.

I have so many friends, acquaintances, and patients who are gay parents. I would seriously lose count, if I tried to count; probably a result of where we chose to live, and people recognizing that we don't think it's a big deal. They adopt, inseminate, 'borrow' friends ... There's plenty of ways to become a parent, even if you are gay. In order to be educated about my gay parent patients, I read a book about children of gay parents, and their kids turn out statistically equal in outcome measures like grades, being well adjusted and such. So if you really want to be a dad, it is certainly still very possible. I'd be glad to share the experiences of the people I know, if you are interested.

I'm going to chime in and say that i really appreciate the tolerance of alternate everything here.

As a jew growing up in a 99.9% christian town

Heh. Funny thing, but I grew up in a town that was 88% Jewish. I set foot in more synagogues than churches in my childhood, went to about 10-15 bar mitzvahs in 7th grade, still have a drawer full of personalized embroidered yamulkas from those bar mitzvahs in my parents' house, and have had several shabis (spelling?) dinners. I literally thought all white people were Jewish when I was a kid, and was shocked when I went to college (Go Wildcats!), and the Jews were actually a minority! I got all the Jewish holidays off, and while my friends had to go to Hebrew school, my brother and I had a free day off to play! The only thing is, as the only Catholic Chinese guys in a town of Jews, it was hell trying to date as a teenager...

Edited by jvlgato

Thanks for all the support guys and Vicki. Each one of you is awesome!

A Texas HC meet would be great. I would suggest Austin (great music), Corpus since Steve mentioned having some place by the beach, or maybe even a road trip to South Padre Island for the spring break babes.

Steve, Shelly - It was a pleasure to meet you both at Can Jam, and it speaks volumes that you are comfortable enough here to be your true selves. I'm fortunate enough to live in an area that embraces diversity. Here's looking forward to the day when your announcements would be a non-issue, everywhere.

Glad you felt comfortable with coming out and sharing this with us. Then again I think you know by now we are a pretty accepting group, with the exception of new members who speak out of turn. I actually though maybe I was in the dark on this one and everyone else knew.

The other thing that really brought a smile to my face was Naaman

I'm gay for Head Case. I love you all. :)

Nate was very protective of you, Stretch, during CanJam hours. As he was the one with your phone number, he just wasn't giving it. First, it was too early to drunk-call you from Three Floyds, and then it was too late (who ever heard of the don't drunk call after 9PM rule!). Just know that we were thinking of you.

Steve, Nothing I can think of to say seems quite right. Being me, I should say something in character, like:

"It's all good. But the Celine Dion part is really frightening."

Then there's what most of us probably think (and some have said much more eloquently), which is:

"You're important to us. Your sexual orientation isn't."

But it is important. What you just did takes a massive amount of guts. Even in places like my neighborhood, where every second person is gay and nobody much thinks about it anymore, there is still enough hatred floating around to send chills down the spine of any normal, reasonably aware, person. We're proud of you. BTW, I was kind of bummed I only met you briefly at CanJam. Just the way stuff goes, I guess.

Shelly, since I'm suddenly all serious, I'll just say it straight out. Congratulations. A lasting relationship with somebody you love is the best thing ever. All the rest is details.

I can't pick a posting style. My humor's not up to par lately, and I'm just not the serious type, so anyway, Shelley and Sheriff Woody, I'm glad you're here, and I'm sure I'll be better able to be funny later. And I figured.

billthecat.jpg

Edited by grawk

Just catching up on this thread, but wanted to thank Steve and Shelly for what they've posted. And to all the others here for the input. I've only met a few, and been to one meet, but it reinforces the great community this is..... Certainly hope to get out and meet more of you!

Todd - skullguise (in Aruba....reason I couldn't go to CanJam)

Yep, it's all good, doesn't really matter to me.

You hyoomaans are all the same anyway, fragile two-legged walking sticks.

Given your musical taste I was really expecting you to follow me in coming out! :P

Then I thought about it and realized no self respecting homo would listen to that crap, so you must be straight. :D

Steve, I am so glad you are open to questions regarding gay. As you know I live in the Deep South where we have no homosexuals, so I have long been curious about a few things.

Question #1: Is it true y'all's guys blood is different. Thicker, darker, etc. This is my understanding and it is probably through this blood test that you determine your homosexuality.

Question #2: I always wondered why gay guys don't get boob implants, if for no other reason then to provide milk for your gay babies. What is up with that?

Question #3: Speaking of gay babies, what are gay babies like? I imagine they are similar to Adrien Brody's baby in the upcoming sci-fi smash Splice. But we all know how Hollywood can get things wrong!

You rock steve, a pleasure meeting you this weekend! hopefully we'll get to hang out more in the future. Team Gulf Coast 4 Life. keep me posted as to this Texas meet.

Question #1: Is it true y'all's guys blood is different. Thicker, darker, etc. This is my understanding and it is probably through this blood test that you determine your homosexuality.

This is absolutely true. It's written in our gay history books that our gay ancestors did not like the color of hetero blood. They found it just too Vermilion, so they added a bit of a lovely shade of Lavender they named Heather Dawn. The viscosity is purely a result of some of the things we tend to swallow. :D

Question #2: I always wondered why gay guys don't get boob implants, if for no other reason then to provide milk for your gay babies. What is up with that?

Two reasons...#1: We just got tired of waiting for Cher to finish up, so we could get the procedure done. #2: Gay babies are raised on Banana Daiquiris. I assumed this was common knowledge, sorry for the misunderstanding. We're squaring this away with our press agent as we speak.

Question #3: Speaking of gay babies, what are gay babies like? I imagine they are similar to Adrien Brody's baby in the upcoming sci-fi smash Splice. But we all know how Hollywood can get things wrong!

They're FABULOUS !

Fuck me, Steve! (Not literally, of course.) Two days ago I could have given you a big squishy hug like I give the ladies, now I'm gonna have to wait til next year.

DirtDOG.gif

I'm not gay, but I should be ... if it weren't a total inside job. My parents are ballet dancers and I grew up in the theater. Don't think I even knew any straight men except my dad when I was a kid.

Anyway, the vibe's already laid down, we love you, start wearing pumps if you want.

I do think those Strawberry Doughnut Orthos you built were a little gay though. FLIPA.gif