Internet speeds - how much is truly needed?

recstar24

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

868952359.png

[bbeellee]Giggidy giggidy giggidy[/beellee]

LOL

i average 22 down and 3.5 up on Comcast wired. with the wrt54 router ipad scores 20down/3up and the iphone sucks balls at 13down/3up. Apple Router comes tomorrow so il see if there is an increase. not bad cause the package i pay for is 12down, i guess my hood is not populated with com cast customers or something...either way i am not complaining

Comcast in Norcal. I feel like they were slow to the party, but way better than AT&T DSL which maxes at 150kbps download where I live.

872650838.png

Oh yeah. And regarding Japan, wasn't it just really fast in the country but the routing out was not so great?

Oh yeah. And regarding Japan, wasn't it just really fast in the country but the routing out was not so great?

From what I heard, but nowadays with 20mbps so easily available in many places, I don't think people care much anymore

Connecting outside Japan the max speed I could d/l at was 8MB/sec with a typical speed more like 6MB/sec; downloading within Japan on the other hand was easily 15MB/sec or more depending on server. Routing wise I didn't have too much of issue in my experience. Total cost for the connection was about $80 a month.

• 2 weeks later...
LOL

i average 22 down and 3.5 up on Comcast wired. with the wrt54 router ipad scores 20down/3up and the iphone sucks balls at 13down/3up. Apple Router comes tomorrow so il see if there is an increase. not bad cause the package i pay for is 12down, i guess my hood is not populated with com cast customers or something...either way i am not complaining

Billy, can I ask what you're paying Comcast, and your customer SVC experience? I'm still slugging along with ATT DSL and considered Comcast, but keep hearing horror stories about Comcast service here in Chicago. I have friends who say they jack up the price without telling you, then won't answer the phone when you call them to complain.

I should be getting FiOS installed at home today - hopefully, everything goes without a hitch so my wife, who is at home today, doesn't have to call me so I can troubleshoot over the phone. I'll be taking a small hit on the download speed compared to Comcast at its best, but upload should be a ton better. Also I'm hoping the overall service/performance will be more consistent than Comcast, not that that'll be all that difficult to achieve.

FiOS through verizon was great, really great when we had it in MD, USA. The bulk of the matter during installation is to get (out of your control unfortunately, they are hired by verizon, you get a random person) a proficient contractor to do the installation from the street FO to your home, including the box. In our case, one guy came over and he screwed up the installation of the backup battery in the box. Usually installed in the basement. After the connection from the street to the box was done, then a verizon guy shows up to do the in-house setting up.

Good luck!

this is what I get here

894746301.png

Edited by CD44hi

We used to have FiOS before we moved to our current place and the service/performance was great. I was really happy when I found out I can get FiOS again - I'm hoping my experience with it this time will mirror my past experience with them. It doesn't hurt that we'll be getting a lot more TV channels (not that we watch all that much TV) than we were with Comcast for same cost (cheaper during the promotion period).