Schiit Asgard

Smeggy

Was meandering over at H-F and noticed another new little amp that grabbed my interest, the Schiit Asgard FET amp. Looks like it might be a fun little amp to play with. I'm contemplating getting it as it's pretty cheap and has a decent amount of power to use as a small SS living room amp. We're still waiting on internal pics but was wondering what the gurus here think of their design philosophy.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeh, looks pretty nice and cheap for made in the US stuff but the company name doesnt give me much confidence, not to mention the guy's H-F username is SchiitHead... so far he's begun all this posts with something like

:palm:

Ouch! My sensibilities!

Funny, I was reading their splurb last night and I just love their attitude, not to mention the crazy decent pricing and sexy aesthetics

"So What Makes Your Headphone Amplifiers Special?

Mike Moffat separately aligns each molecule of every JFET, using a special Absolute Zero containment suit…"

This is going to be an interesting company to watch imo

..dB

yeah, the tube amp looks nice but the SS one is more better for all my low imp phoons. So nobody has bad stuffs to say about no feedback, blah, blah.. etc? That's good because I really want a decent small ss home amp that can take a bit of a battering about while I do phone testing and whatnot. Don't want to risk doing all that with my toob amps so I'm currently using the mini3 in the initial phases. This seems like a better option.

I also like their bullshit lines better than most. If you're gonna BS people, do it with gusto!

I read their About and FAQ sections, I like these guys a lot.

I'd mark them down as the first interesting amp manufacturer that I can think of in a long time.

They remind me of Manley kinda

I also like the style of writing. Too much stuff is too uptight and rigid. icky.

We're still waiting on internal pics but was wondering what the gurus here think of their design philosophy.

A very simple SS amp? Try it!

I am curious about why he didnt specify the gain. His description makes it sound like he is trying NOT to say that the SS amp is a buffer. Im totally OK with that, and think its an awesome niche for an amp but he should say it if thats what it is.

I have no idea whats going on in the tube amp, but it could also be totally cool.

Edited by nikongod

coolies, as for gain, 5x I think they said in the h-f thread.

Yep

"The gain of Asgard (solid state) is 5, or about 14 dB, and output impedance is about 0.5 ohms.

4. Inverting vs non-inverting: We were being very careful in our wording--single voltage gain stage. There are two current gain stages, one ahead of the voltage gain--I'm sure you can figure out the rest from there.

5. 20V p-p into 32 ohms and 312 mA bias: yep, right on. It's single-ended Class A with a current source bias. "