Schiit Asgard

Smeggy

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For 250 I wouldn't be expecting the earth but it will definitely do for what I want it for. At that price level I'm not gonna get picky and it should be pretty close to the ideal ortho amp on a budget. I've never heard the Ed so no clue which would be better.

I owned the EC/SS a couple years ago, and own the Schiit Asgard now. Apples and Oranges, since no direct comparison, but I'd classify the Schiit as more dynamic/powerful, and slightly more fun. The EC/SS is more maybe refined and slightly more neutral IIRC. EC/SS went well with my Grado's and Deepak's HP-2 at the time, and even managed to make a Beyer sound pretty decent.

The Schiit is likely to be more suitable for more variety of cans, though. The EC/SS sounded decent, but a bit lifeless on some of the cans I threw at it (couple AKG's most noticably, 271's and 701's). I don't have those same cans now, but the Schiit would likely have more dynamic sound. Haven't listened to it for a few weeks now, but that midrange glare I heard in my first days listening was still there slightly at last run. Not wholly intrusive, but noticable to me.

My 2 cents, worth probably about half that.....

• 4 weeks later...
Fishy. An amp which allegedly runs in class A but doesn't even get warm, yeah. Either it's a very low powered amp or it's not class A.

Had mine (m-stage) for a week now - it does run warm/hot - not burning hot, but very warm to the touch

I have it sitting next to a Cute Curve - which doesn't heat up at all - so the difference is quite noticeable

Not strictly on topic, but I got my Schiit Valhalla tube amp a few days back. Had it sent up to Maine while on vaca, so don't have much for sources or headphones to try it with. In fact, I am waaaaay out of recommended use with an iPod Nano headphone jack as source and Shure SE530 IEMs (below recommended impedance) as monitors. Should have sounded hissy, flabby, and noisy, but, mais non, messrs et madames, sound ver terrifique (ask Al to translate). This thing is a keeper, and one of the best $349. audio purchases I've ever made.

valhalla_front.jpg