Show Me Your ThunderPantses!

The Monkey

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

got a question for all you diy monkeys. What is a good connector type to use for swappable wires that is lockable? Mini BNC? I had a look around but I'm not sure how to actually solder wires to those plugs as they all seem made for coax. Is there any type you've come across which would be better suited in the mini range that isn't gonna be a huge ass-pain. I got a few people wanting a plug contraption like the HE5 and LCD2 and I have no idea what to use.

I don't see anyway this won't be a huge pain in the ass. The only good way to do it is inside the cup which means you're going to have to keep it very small (like the Senn connector on the 800s) and those things are a whore to work with in my opinion. I'd tell those folks to get over the cable nonsense.

yeah, unfortunately whatever I may use, the replacement wires will also need the same plugs and who knows how they'll go about that. I'm thinking a pair of small binding posts on the cups with screws will be easiest but dunno if anyone would go for that :rolleyes: Sadly people are often fixated by these things even though literally anything else you do will have a bigger impact. I'd forgotten about lemo connectors, I'll look into them :)

you could try looking at the RC antenna connectors at your hobby shop

something like this - they are designed for coax but I am sure they could be made to work. A cheap and simple option is to use a tight fitting 2.5mm "trs" plug/jack ( quite a few folk modded their grado sr60's this way , back in the day when grado was still cool )

steckervergleich-micro-2005-02.png

..dB

• 2 months later...

Just happened on this thread so I joined the site here.

Ordered my Thunderpants this week so wanted to keep up on this discussion.

I didn't know that the T50RP were so hard to obtain, glad smeggy had some in stock.

P.S. I like the Dalek cake :-)

Welcome Seth. You made a good choice ordering T-Pants from Smeggy, and you should look around Head-Case, get to know it a bit, and also make good choices about how you post here at first. We're quite a bit different from the norm, but plenty of fun if you get the gist.

Oh, and thanks for the pink Dalek cake comment. I found that avatar for Smegs who has used Dalek pics for years. :)

Cheers!

Seth, could you let me know how you contacted Smeggy? I sent him a PM a week ago to ask how I could obtain a pair of Thunderpantses. Not sure of the correct method to reach him, I've been lurking here for well over a year (kinda creepy like). Hopefully nobody's test-swinging a shovel right now.

Thanks for the welcome! - looking forward to finding more about how things work at Head Case.

As to contacting smeggy, I have been a member at head-fi.org for several months. I heard the 'pants at a Portland meet last weekend and I contacted smeggy through head-fi.org PM.

Whoa, whoa, whoa! I welcomed Seth but I didn't just open the floodgates on newbies prancing all around and communicating with each other and making shovel references. You had better check yourself before you're on the shelf, Gimmethecash! :dotu:

Edited by Voltron

I am already liking it here - not often that I come to read a board and get a big smile from the posts :-)

Regarding the connector question, I'd give a big +1 for Lemo. I used these professionally many years ago, they are miniature works of art and the push pull locking feature is very secure.

There was even a high-end audio manufacturer that used them awhile back, can't recall who it was, but never caught on.