Show Me Your ThunderPantses!

The Monkey

Whoa, whoa, whoa! I welcomed Seth but I didn't just open the floodgates on newbies prancing all around and communicating with each other and making shovel references. You had better check yourself before you're on the shelf, Gimmethecash! :dotu:

Now there's the reception I expected. I'll try to keep my prancing, personal comms, and references in check, then.

Mouser appears to have a good selection of LEMO connectors, btw.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Seth, you probably have the most beautiful set of TP's I have seen! I love how understated (i.e. less flashy) they are than many other types of wood; definitely a sophisticated look. Pairs nicely with those black O2 pads.

Thanks guys

The finish chosen came out of my discussion with Smeggy. I travel regularly and I wanted something that wouldn't show wear so much, and this was what he suggested.

However I really prefer the more natural satin wood finish, and am extremely pleased with how these turned out, in appearance and in sound quality.

The black O2 pads were also based on his recommendation as the most comfortable ones available.

The center wood is amboyna burl. I forget what the outside lighter wood is, so Gary would have to chime in, or perhaps another of the wood doctors can do so.

I asked Gary to terminate to balanced, so I'm not sure if he replaced the cable in the process. I will give them a listen tomorrow (currently watching tv, so no dedicated listening time tonight).

Ah, you just got them. Enjoy!

You will find that you will get some changes with break-in.

I use them for hours each day at work, and looking forward to my next plane trip with them. I have a custom made bag on order for that purpose. Have to protect these guys :-)

I always wanted a pair but kept skipping some sales because, as gorgeous as all of them were (and I did almost cave in sometimes), I was looking for something with mixed woods. I talked to Smeggy, and when he showed me the cups he was working on (see below), I simply knew they were meant for me. In a few minutes, I will go give them a listen. They are much bigger than I remember, which is a very good thing. I think good ol' Gary outdid himself this time.

tpcups.jpg

NOTE: for those seeing this page the finished product is on the previous page.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Don't know if anyone else travels with their Thunderpants (I take mine on every flight now), but thought there might be some interest in my mobile kit.

If not, oh well :-)

I am really enjoying my Thunderpants and if anyone is still sitting on the fence about buying a pair, I urge you to take the plunge, you won't regret it!.

post-2932-0-90923000-1307933535_thumb.jp

I just meant that would be unrealistic to get on board a flight with such a (sweet) bundle, At least with any security concsious airline company... IME at least. But any other way i'm sure it's great.

Luckily I haven't run into any issues thus far. The whole bag goes as is into the scanner. So far I haven't even had to get a hand search, knock on wood...

The isolation on Thunderpants is superb, which makes them great for travel (and work). Only drawback is sometimes the attendants have to tap me on the shoulder to break it down and stow for landing, as I often don't hear the announcement...

I definitely stand out in a sea of Bose :-)

Only people who have commented on the rig so far are a few flight attendants. I know a number of people travel with full sized cans, but I just don't seem to run across them, despite flying roughly monthly.