AKG K1000 re-cable just turned into a bigger project

swt61

So I sent my K1000 to Fitz a little while back for a re-cable. Today upon removing the wire mesh grills Fitz discovered someone's handiwork...

damageddriver.jpg

damageddriver2.jpg

Nice huh?

The person I bought them from mentioned that they had new drivers installed, but forgot to mention the custom port in the side of one driver! He also never mentioned they were installed by anyone other than AKG. I've looked back through PMs here and there to discover who the seller was, but sadly can't find the PMs. I also can't find the sale ad. I do remember he was a young kid from England, and it would have been around November of 2008 when I purchased them. Not that I'd get any satisfaction monetarily, but at least I could warn others here about that member.

Fitz mentioned that it looks like a phillips bit may have caused the hole, and indeed it does look as though that may be the case.

Two goods things though...

1) I never heard any anomilies due to the hole.

2) I sent them to Fitz!

He already has some ideas as how to best repair them, and that guy is Dr. AKG for sure!

So it's a bit disheartening to discover this, but I'm very greatful Fitz is on the case. I'll keep you updated.

Ouch, i'm not sure how much can be done to fix something like this other than replacing the drivers, but best of luck to the repair! :)

Since Steve never noticed any major effect on the sound from this (which actually doesn't surprise me... it's ugly as hell, but probably not big enough to really throw off the sound), I have an idea I want to try that will hopefully get it mostly restored. It won't be perfect, but should be good enough.

Still, it wasn't something that was pleasant to see when opening them up. I think I'm more pissed off by this discovery than Steve is; it's one thing to have damage and a sloppy soldering job on a cheap headphone, but it kills me to see this kind of reckless attitude applied to something like the K1000.

Ouch, i'm not sure how much can be done to fix something like this other than replacing the drivers, but best of luck to the repair! :)

Since Steve never noticed any major effect on the sound from this (which actually doesn't surprise me... it's ugly as hell, but probably not big enough to really throw off the sound), I have an idea I want to try that will hopefully get it mostly restored. It won't be perfect, but should be good enough.

Still, it wasn't something that was pleasant to see when opening them up. I think I'm more pissed off by this discovery than Steve is; it's one thing to have damage and a sloppy soldering job on a cheap headphone, but it kills me to see this kind of reckless attitude applied to something like the K1000.

I'm more upset about the deceipt than anything else. They sounded great, so I'm not that concerned about sound issues. It does completely screw any resale value though, as I paid $1000.00, and most likely would be lucky to get half of that, because I'd never sell them without full disclosure no matter how good Fitz' repair might be. Luckily I have no foreseeable plans to sell them, and will almost certainly replace the drivers at some point in the near future.

Well once again Dr. AKG has an absolutely amazing surgery result. I expected him to make it better, but I'm simply amazed at his result.

driverrepair.jpg

driverrepair2.jpg

It goes without saying that a good bottle of Scotch will appear at his door soon. Now I just need to find out what a good bottle of Scotch is. :)

Thanks Fitz!!!

I still want to run some measurements on it to make sure its working the same as the other driver, regardless of if it sounds perfectly fine.

Indeed, looks like great work there fitz. How did you fill that hole?

I'll describe the process in more detail later if there's actually any interest in it... it's rather unspectacular compared to the pictures.

Nice going Fitz. And Steve I don't know why you change them if they sound good to you.

I may decide it's unnecessary after seeing Fitz' workmanship. As long as he ends up happy with the measurements I see no need to go any further.

Indeed, looks like great work there fitz. How did you fill that hole?
I'm going to guess without reading further that he used either that bedazzler material or that stuff with the ironing that mends without sewing.

Oh, and seriously, Fitz, as always, looks like great work. And I'm with you on the anger. Another very little piece of me dies every time I hear a horror story about K1000 drivers.