Converting Movies for Playback on iPad/iPhone

I have a bunch of movies on an external HD, but they're in a whole bunch of different formats. Is there a straightforward way to convert them to whatever iTunes needs so that I can view them on my iPad/iPhone. Performing such conversion within iTunes itself doesn't seem to cut it.

In Handbrake 9.4 I'm using the Apple Universal setting, which produces results that look good on computer screen (via iTunes playback or on their own) and Apple TV as well as iPhone.

If I'm starting from a ripped full DVD bundle, I also go into the Subtitles tab and select closed captions, if any exist. iTunes and iPhone respect closed captions in that you can turn them on or off during playback. IMO they're a nice feature to have.

i never had luck with handbrake, way too many converts that just dont work after all is done. i use earthsoft Bluray ripper with any dvd. i do most of mine in h.264 720p (blurays) and yes they work on itunes,ipad, and iphon4. out of maybe 30 movies i had one bluray that would not work but the others were perfect.

I use Universal, but back the Constant Quality RF from 20 to 20.5 (to usually keep under 2GB and the occasional file system issues that hit above). That's for archiving and transfer, not iPad related.

The file extension shouldn't matter though. Have done a bunch on a Windows and Mac Handbrakes and ended up with both .mp4 and .m4v.

Except that .m4v is basically an Apple container format.

True, but even my PS3 can play m4v's so it's a pretty valuable container in my book. It's one of the few ways that I've found to download HD mkv rips and have them be useful. It's a sucky workflow to have to download and then immediately transcode via Handbreak but it's better than being stuck with far lower quality avi rips of the shows that I want to watch.

• 2 weeks later...

Well then that's what I'm gonna do. Thanks HPA.

EDIT Also, Handbrake doesn't appear to offer a preset for the iPad...the closest seem to be "iPhone/iPod Touch" or "AppleTV." Does it matter which I use? Should I use a different preset altogether?

Edited by The Monkey