RF Modulator for iPod.

Knuckledragger

2hhq6it.jpg

So after 5 continuous years of use with a 1/8" to tape adapter, the tape transport in my Subaru's stereo has bit the dust. I could look into getting the transport repaired or replaced, but it's probably simpler to get a Pu-36 Explosive Space Modulator FM transmitter for the 'Pod.

I have a Belkin adapter that plugs in to my car's "power port" (cigarette lighter) and has an iPod dock connector. It powers the 'Pod and has a 1/8" jack. My car only has one power port, so I imagine I'll have to discontinue using the Belkin.

I need an FM transmitter that has good signal strength and sound quality and can power the iPod. I live in a relatively rural area, so I shouldn't have too much trouble finding an open frequency. Any head-casers have experience with iPod transmitters? What makes and models should I be investigating?

I don't use mine any more. To paraphrase Nate, don't bother, they all suck. And it's true. I basically had to have the iPod right up against the radio in order for it not to keep cutting out, and it fell over more times than you can stake a Schick at. I think I killed that (my first) iPod. I don't do that to my second/current one.

What I ended up doing is, on the back of most current head units is an "aux input" for an external changer -- there's usually adapters for that. I use mine all the time.

My Subaru Tribeca radio head unit can't be replaced with an aftermarket, due to the dashboard design, and mine doesn't have an aux input. So I am forced to use an FM transmitter. NONE of the many that I have tried from Belkin, Kensington and Griffin are powerful enough to be properly picked up properly by the Tribeca's radio, except for the Monster. I hate to recommend Monster, but if you must use an FM transmitter it seems to be the best I have found. The sound is about as good as you'd expect.

But, if your Subaru can accept an aftermarket deck with aux in, I would go for that and not repair the stock one. I'm about ready to buy a 4-channel amp and a switch to let me either use my iPod with LOD/Amp to feed the speakers, or the stock radio to power the speakers. But, my wife will take over this car in April and I'll be getting a new Subaru with aux in, while she doesn't care about iPod inputs.

i found that if you do one of those plug in the back of your stock radio threw antenna thingies work awesome! had one in the TT and loved it...well it did the job with no problems. they're pretty cheap for what you get and you can install it yourself

see our problem is this idiot agency called the fancy candy company

who mandates that the output of those little toys is -88dbm.

Pretty much useless these days. so its not that the devices are

crappy, its that they don't put out enough power. Fortunately there

is solutions, and the one like the sony actually does fit into the rf input

line and switches itself in and out as necessary.

I like my solution better. Its completely portable.

I'm pretty sure I bought this one on clearance about 3.5 years ago and it worked great in my factory Mazda radio at the time. Amazon.com: XtremeMac IPN-APL-00 Airplay2- Black: Electronics

It was 10 or 12$ iirc. Had a few programmable buttons (helped in different parts of town). It was loose in the cubby under the radio when the car was totaled by an uninsured driver. The thing is lost in the abyss right now.

Really, though... go with Kevin's idea.

**BRENT**

Hmm. I will take the above under advisement. Mr. Chalk has been kind enough to send me his old modulator. If that doesn't work out, I'll be looking at a new head unit, I think. My Subaru's stock stereo is unusual in that it's two DIN units, the amp/radio/tape and a 6-disc in-dash player. I can't imagine I could get a replacement head unit (that wasn't a Subaru) that would work with the changer.