'phones for Shuffle?

CarlSeibert

Bonnie has taken an interest in the iPod Shuffle that I bought a few months back when they were discontinuing the nice one that had a built-in volume control. I left it on her desk and she has started using it. This is the first glimmer of interest she's ever shown in anything headphone. She's fascinated by speaker rigs (especially those that we can't afford) but thus far she's been bored by headphones if she notices them at all.

So... I want this Shuffle thing to go well.

Early reports are the the Apple earbuds sound like shit (expected) and fall out of her ears at the gym.

Recommendations anyone? We would be looking for something small, inexpensive and decent-sounding that doesn't fly out of one's ears. Less than great isolation would probably be a good thing.

Hmmm. I have a similar pair she could try. Probably too big, though.

We're probably talking about little in-ears here. The DMP is beyond tiny - the size of a wad of chewing gum.

We have the Etymotic sound level reducing earplug thingies that have christmas trees on them. She likes those. She says she's not fond of squishy things, which rules out Comply tips, which are my favorites.

At every CanJam, there are multiple vendors with sub-$100 in-ears that are little and probably gym-friendly. But I've never paid any attention to them. (I bicycle on south Florida roads, so I don't listen to music when I exercise. It interferes with praying not to be run over.)

Vicki - didn't Uncle Wilson give you something like this to review last year? What was the verdict on those?

I think Vicki and others have liked the Yuin ear buds (PK-1 or 2) but I have never tried them. The little in-ears at Head-Direct are also a possibility as Jin pointed out.

I probably have some Uncle Wilson IEMs lying around if you want me to look and send them to you, Carl.

I liked the PK1s a lot for earbuds, but they need an amp, and wouldn't be good for the gym. Re the Uncle Wilson headphones, my boss uses them to walk his dog. I only listened to them once and don't really remember anything at all about them. Dan also had a pair or two, but I don't know if he listened to them or just gave them to his kids. Etys would be my choice and to try out different tips. Excellent isolation with the right seal, which wipes out that horrible gym music always playing, and they sound damn decent.

I have owned the Yuin OK3 which was killed in a horrible vacuuming accident (RIP, wasn't me) and liked it quite a lot for how much I paid for it, which I think was $40 (used). The Head-Direct RE-Zero which I won at CJ is just a canalphone so less isolating than an IEM and it's not bad either, though it is $100 and you have to use the shitty TRRS -> TRS adapter. I think I read somewhere the previous version, RE-0, doesn't have much bass and I get the feeling the HE-Zero doesn't have enough bass for portable use though is fine otherwise. And yes the ER6i is pretty isolating.

This looks interesting. And for twenty bucks, you can't go far wrong. Have you heard them?

Al - a listen to the Uncle Wilsons would be great. Thank you!

I have a pair of RE-1s she can try on my portable rig. Unless the RE-2s are a different beast, I can't imagine the little Shuffle driving them well, though. Sans amp, my G5.5 Classic doesn't do that well with them.

The Yuins would be probably be good, everybody seems to like them. But an experiment with a pair of Sennheiser buds I have seems to indicate that buds in general, not just the Apple ones, leap out of her ears.

Cool. Now we have some options to try. Crossing fingers. Hopefully, that will prove to be fun.

This looks interesting. And for twenty bucks, you can't go far wrong. Have you heard them?

Nope, just remember when they were announced and I thought an interesting idea. Made me jerry-rig a HD-25-1 cord wrap around and shuffle clip trying to emulate.