Worst amp you've ever heard?

Dusty Chalk

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm... I'm pretty sure that was a joke, but I've never been blown away by the Gilmore Lite. I've heard Dynalo's that were great, but that one never grabbed me.

As for the Raptor, it is actually not bad with high impedance headphones. Given the price though and the design flaws... I wouldn't touch it with someone else's dick. :P

but but but, that amp gets recommended on head-fi a lot! how could it possibly be bad?!

Good question..... because most portable sources actually output more power then that amp does.

Maybe it's the whole "OMG teh base is so much mo betta with this amp" thing?

Assuming of course that you like warm sloppy bass. ;)

As for the Raptor, it is actually not bad with high impedance headphones.
I distinctly remember being underwhelmed -- it was completely lite on the bass. And it wasn't even detailed -- you know how people believe this myth that bass and detailed are mutually exclusive? It had this fake high frequency sheen, but no detail.

Guest sacd lover

the Millett Hybrid? i agree with you there, though i haven't heard anything other than a basic build with mediocre tubes. i also haven't liked any of the PPAs i've heard.

That Millet was bad. I still didnt think the raptor sounded that bad. The sound wasnt great but it was listenable. The hornet is abrasive and fatiguing.

Guest sacd lover

Either the RSA B52 or the Gilmore light (sorry justin).

You think the B52 sounded bad? I have seen a few posts where the posters were diplomatic but still said the amp didnt impress them. But then you immediately see a "certain group" :-* jump in and declare the amp a world beater.