Arcam Solo rDac

HiWire

It seems like something they should have figured out by now... the first USB 3.0 motherboards were announced this January.

Also, the Wolfson site says the WM8741 can take 192kHz and DSD, so it would have made sense to include an HDMI input for high-res sources.

It seems like something they should have figured out by now... the first USB 3.0 motherboards were announced this January.

Also, the Wolfson site says the WM8741 can take 192kHz and DSD, so it would have made sense to include an HDMI input for high-res sources.

1) USB 3.0 isn't needed for a DAC as digital audio isn't too terribly demanding on bandwidth. Total bandwidth required for a 24bit 96khz stream is about 4.4 Megabits/sec. That's well under the 11Mbit/sec theoretical bandwidth (figure roughly 7Mbit/sec real-world bandwidth) provided by "full-speed" USB 1.1.

2) Even though the WM8741 can accept 192khz and DSD, I can guarantee you the licensing fees and extra circuitry required to decode the HDCP would have pushed the DAC past it's current sub-$500 price point. Accepting encrypted DSD isn't as simple as tacking on a HDMI port to a DAC (I wish it was though, it'd be great for the DIY crowd).

Thanks. I've never used a USB DAC, and I'm not sure it how works on something like a MacBook, for example. From what I've read, most high-res disc players won't output DSD digitally anyway (the home theatre market is an exception).

In other news, I was looking at the new Marantz disc players (e.g. the upcoming SA8004) and I'm glad they're still making "affordable" SACD, after major players like Sony have all but abandoned the format.

The rDAC might be interesting. They claim to utilize a patented Dcs asynchronous USB technology which is at least an alternative to the Gordon Rankin backed drivel. The Wavelength DAC's conveniently omit a SPDIF input so no comparisons concerning the asynchronous USB's claimed superiority can ever be made. Arcam's rDAC will allow such comparisons, and I applaud them for doing so.

Still it looks like a piece of shit (cosmetically), and the specifications are a little sparse. I had heard that it is going to be a little more than the $500 that someone stated, I thought I read $500 - $700, but I haven't been paying attention.

Now I might start paying attention, with the wireless option it might be a much more affordable alternative to my PWD with Network Bridge.

Yes, I think they must have done some math and figured out that the size of the market for high-end DACs is too small - that's why it's in the Solo range and not the FMJ.

Still, it might sound better than some of its competitors in the price range and therefore justify its existence. The wireless function doesn't hurt either. I can't buy one of these - it would mean buying another headphone amp, which I can't afford at the moment. The headphone out of my MacBook to Alessandro MS-1 is good enough for now - the files are lossy 320 kbit/s VBR AAC. I finally got a chance to listen to Shpongle's "Are You Shpongled" album on my home rig - I was missing EVERYTHING by listening to it on my iPod Shuffle (stock earbuds) on the go.

The rDac is also in a funny market - it has a "low-end" price but it has to have noticeably better output than whatever you're feeding it to justify its purchase. If you have an audiophile computer source (e.g. Squeezebox, Apogee Duet, Peachtree), they might be at the same level of quality. Perhaps I haven't researched enough in computer audio - most of my serious listening is done with CD and SACD discs.

I have one on order with my local dealer. 15% off MSRP! :) No idea when it'll be in stock but I'm chomping at the bit because it should be soon.

Yes, I think they must have done some math and figured out that the size of the market for high-end DACs is too small - that's why it's in the Solo range and not the FMJ.

Still, it might sound better than some of its competitors in the price range and therefore justify its existence. The wireless function doesn't hurt either.

The rDac is also in a funny market - it has a "low-end" price but it has to have noticeably better output than whatever you're feeding it to justify its purchase. If you have an audiophile computer source (e.g. Squeezebox, Apogee Duet, Peachtree), they might be at the same level of quality. Perhaps I haven't researched enough in computer audio - most of my serious listening is done with CD and SACD discs.

I too think that Arcam probably did some research before coming up with this DAC. The US price ($480) puts it in reach of just about anyone (except penultimate low-budget Head-Fiers who think they have to buy everything absolutely cheap) and the compact size is definitely a plus. The wireless receiver isn't currently implemented though and is supposed to come out later this year as an upgrade. And it's probably just the Arcam fanboy in me but I wouldn't shortchange this DAC - it has a nice price, the WM8741, dCS' async USB technology, and support for 24/96 over the USB. And it's not made by some sketchy Chinese operation either. :P And of course there's the advantage that a world-wide dealer network provides....

Arcam has a good history with dCS (specifically, I'm thinking of their last collaboration on the Arcam FMJ CD33's Ring DAC)... speaking of dCS, I just noticed the new Debussy DAC on their website. It's a couple of levels up from the rDAC and the digital volume control is interesting.

^^^^ Looks kind of Apple-ish

Except it's got that 90's router off-wite thing going on, as opposed to Apple's shiny look-at-me white, at least going by the pic.

does it have the same dimensions as the mac mini? might make a nice stack.

Nope, it's actually rectangular in shape. 6.3"x4.4"x2.6".

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...