What amp to power OII, HE60, and HE Audio 'stats?

Jon L

The 717 is an excellent amp and the best value out there for a pre-built amp. It is basically a KGSS with a few "tweaks" and the stock crappy Stax PSU. Now those "tweaks" could be removed and the amp turned into a KGSS...

There should also be similar mods on the horizon for the 727 just as soon as Craig starts to read my emails... :mad:

I think that DHT's have the potential to make a signifigant improvement in the Stax mids, which, like the K1000, can be a little too cool and thin for some. However, a 2A3 through an SRD-7 is way too small for the job. A 300B isn't big enough either. On the other hand, an 845 might be very interesting. In the end though, you'll never get the full benifit of a DHT out of the SRD-7. I use a lot of transformers in my designs, but there's no way you can run the output of a 16:1 step-down into a 23:1 step-up without degradation. If you're into DIY, Electra-Print makes transformers specifically for this purpose. I'm building a DHT electrostatic amp now. Should be running later this week. You'll see it here.