Please Help Me Choose My Headphones

uOpt

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys, after a long battle of searching, I've finally landed on two headphones but I'm confused on which to get!

Denon AH-D5000

Or

Sennheiser HD650

My thoughts: I like both a lot...the Denon 5000 seems to sound sizzling with a spark...a lot livelier because of its boomy/smooth bass (bass that the HD650 doesn't have) and warm/dark sound. On the other hand, I love the HD650 because they sound neutral, laid back, balanced, and to me they sound like they produce true to life, studio quality, and genuine sound as it should be heard. At times however, I feel like I need something with a trigger...So I don't know, will I enjoy the HD650 in the long run more than the Denon 5000?

Thoughts or suggestions? Which should I get and why?

I would appreciate answers from people whom have tried both and have experiences with both.

Thanks a bunch!

:cool::)

I never quite understood the definition of neutral headphones, but to me the HD650 sound much more natural and closer to what I hear in live music. What I mean by that is the sound doesn't sound forced, it just flows without presenting too much flaws, while on the other hand I felt the D5000 were trying to shove boomy bass into my ears and sucked the mids out of the music and it didn't sound anything close to live music to me.

Yeah, drill big holes in the cups and put in a mesh grille, take out the drivers and put in some Stax drivers, replace the cable with a ribbon cable, and it might actually sound good.

That was the idea behind my comment, though I was thinking more of the D2000 for the frame and pads. Make a nice wood cup, bolt it in and toss in your favorite driver. That's why I only mentioned the frame and pads.

I wasn't thinking the MarkL "mod" but rather headphone driver transplant + DIY cup "mod".