Please Help Me Choose My Headphones

uOpt

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys. After spending too many hours searching for answers at Head-Fi and getting nowhere, I found HeadCase. Seems like the people here generally have more knowledge about headphones than Head-Fi, but thats just how it looks to me. On to the point, I hope you guys can come up with a better headphone or selection of headphones than what I've currently come up with.

First off, about 3 or 4 years ago, I took my first real step into higher quality headphones by buying a Sony MDR-7506. Up to this point, they were great, easily driven, fairly clear sound quality, and they were miles ahead of what I've used in the past, and I preferred them to the Shure E3 IEMs that I would occasionally listen to. Now as I start to notice the things that bother me, such as the earpads seams tearing, the headphones getting a bit hot, and the sound quality that I find a bit unsatisfying, nothing bothers me more than the response. The mids seem to overpower the bass, and the trebles are a bit harsh and together with the mids, just completely wash out the bass. It makes it hard to hear the bass line at all in a song, you really have to search for it. It gets pretty tiring after a while, and sometimes I can barely go 30 minutes without the treble just hurting my ears. They do everything ok, but no better. The depth of the instruments is pretty good, the clarity, and detail aren't bad either, but I'm just looking for more. Bass impact isn't completely absent, but isn't noticeable until you get the right song at a high enough volume, and is lacking. The bass does feel fairly tight, and the tightness is definitely is a redeeming factor.

Rather than giving a review of my headphones, I should just say what I'm looking for in an upgrade from these MDR-7506s.

• Moderate amount of bass impact, along with a tight, detailed bass
  • Treble not to be harsh, harshness is discomforting and sounds bad
  • Treble/mids to not overpower the bass, maybe even for it to be slightly on the darker side.
  • Better detail/less muddiness, basically so that you can hear each part of the music easily and it doesn't sound all smeared together.

Pretty much a headphone with these characteristics, and that will sound like a clear upgrade from the 7506s. I don't want to "upgrade" to a similar quality headphone with a different sound signature.

The source (at best) would be FLACs or 320 kbps MP3s running through foobar2000's ASIO output, to an Asus Xonar Essence ST headphone amp, then the headphones. I've also got a bunch of speaker amps and receivers, but the Essence ST sounds the best overall. The music preference is mostly rock, but some trance, house, and hip-hop.

The absolute budget max is $350, I don't want to spend too much on these. From what I've gathered, the Shure SRH840s, AKG K701/K702, and HD600s seem to be the best in that price range. I know they're not all in the same category, but just what I've been able to come up with. This is by no means a decision between these three, just some ideas. Feedback on these as well as other suggestions are completely welcome. I hope you guys can help.

Thanks, a lot.

I almost feel like we're getting trolled by a group of conspirators.

Lol? I'm no troll.

JH13

Stax O2

Yes, I know I'm probably just another person asking for a headphone suggestion. I'm probably the 5th or so on the front page alone. I know I don't have any prior posts, but I do have an extent of knowledge of headphones. I was just hoping that a community with much more experience with headphones in this price range could easily help make a recommendation. Anyways, was I too specific with what I asked, was there something wrong?

Add it to "The Thread" and move on.

Which thread?

Just one question, morphsci, if you don't mind. I've read a lot over here, mainly posts from boomana, that the D2000s are terrible headphones, overpriced, and are a FotM at Head-Fi which is why it is a favoured headphone over there. This quickly made me rethink my decision whether I would consider these or not. However, if kept stock, do you think the Denon D2000s possibly what I'm looking for?

Sorry if double posting isn't allowed; I couldn't find a set list of rules.

IMO the D2000 are not terrible, not really overpriced and are certainly no longer FOTM anywhere. That being said, how am I supposed to know what you are looking for. At least it appears that you have read a little and your screen name does make me chuckle.

It's nice to see a little decency here. Thanks for the advice, both of you. If you must know, I was referring to the small list I made regarding what I would look for in an upgrade, but that's besides the point, it doesn't matter anymore. I guess back to the reviews and comparisons it is, as in Canada, it's a bit harder to get as good a price and a return policy as it is in the U.S.

Trouble is that everyone likes different stuff and all hear stuff differently so asking to recommend a set of phones is on a par with asking how long is a piece of string. You might get a lot of answers but none of them mean Jack shit with regards to your ears and prefs as we know neither.

I almost feel like we're getting trolled by a group of conspirators.

It'll be the trickle coming in from reading Waynes interview on CNet.

Personally, I think that it might be apt to let off on the stick and use a little more carrot with these chaps.

My advice to the OP is to get the HD600 and see if you like them. They don't do anything wrong, unlike the K701. If you don't like them you'll have no trouble selling them on and trying somethign else.

Quite so. A nice solid amp will wake them up from being "better than what you've got" to "really rather nice indeed".

If they don't do what you hope they do and aren't as pleasing as you expect, or if you do like them and want to take them to the next level, for gods sake don't go dumping similar or more money to what the headphones cost in the first place on an aftermarket cable.