Drill Press Spindle keeps falling out

Les_Garten

I have a Nice 20" Craftsman D.P. I bought recently. So I'm drilling (butchering) a computer case presently and the tapered chuck spindle keeps dropping off! I cleaned it up real well and have seated it against a blcok of wood with some pressure. Fell out pretty easy. I retracted the chuck and pounded it in with a dead blow hammer. Didn't help. Then took a small masonry hammer and some wood and pounded the crap out of it I thought. Still fell out.

What's the super secret way of wedging that gadget in there!

Hmm,

I think the piece I'm referring to is called the Quill. It is male and goes up into the DP head.

Here's my latest plan. Clean the hell out of everything with alcohol or mineral spirits. Freeze the quill for a couple hours in my Freezer (-4 F). Lightly oil and press back together.

Does that sound like it might work?

OK, one more change...

Cleaned with Ether and it's in the freezer.

Won't use any oil.

Tap it on with dead blow hammer.

Press and hold the press while it warms up.

I also just read about some "filling" compounds made by Locktite if this doesn't work...

A common problem it seems...

The stuff I read tonight said no lubricant at all. Clean and dry fit. I'll know tomorrow when I try to swing a 5 1/4" hole saw with it!

Iffin' that don't work, I'll go the dye, file, and filler route.

I don't know what you did but the belt used to slip on my drill press long before the quill/taper/arbor would have slipped and fallen out. :eek:

I don't know what you did but the belt used to slip on my drill press long before the quill/taper/arbor would have slipped and fallen out. :eek:

Yeah, Very Strange, and Very Irritating!

I got a zillion holes to drill and don't want to use a hand drill.

On another note...

I saw a large step bit tonight at HD. Like up to 1 1/8".

If you were drilling in mild steel that size hole, would that be a better device than a hole saw?

I hate hole saws!

Yeah, Very Strange, and Very Irritating!

I got a zillion holes to drill and don't want to use a hand drill.

On another note...

I saw a large step bit tonight at HD. Like up to 1 1/8".

If you were drilling in mild steel that size hole, would that be a better device than a hole saw?

I hate hole saws!

If you get the large step bit, I would be curious to hear if you like it. I don't particularly like my larger bit, my Irwin, which goes up to 1/2" is nice, but my 1-1/8th jerks fairly strongly as it makes a step, which leaves me with a less clean hole than would be ideal. Also, the spindle on my (craftsman) drill press seemed like it should be loose when I first installed bit, but like Nate, the belt will slip before it does now.

If you get the large step bit, I would be curious to hear if you like it. I don't particularly like my larger bit, my Irwin, which goes up to 1/2" is nice, but my 1-1/8th jerks fairly strongly as it makes a step, which leaves me with a less clean hole than would be ideal. Also, the spindle on my (craftsman) drill press seemed like it should be loose when I first installed bit, but like Nate, the belt will slip before it does now.

Mine doesn't slip, the whole quill - chuck assembly falls out when I lift of the piece I am drilling.

master machinist says that one of the two pieces is likely machined wrong.

So get another arbor and if it falls out, then take the drill press back and get

it replaced because there is nothing you would be able to do about it.

No grease or lubrication unless there is some kind of rust problem.

Warning, DANGEROUS, wear safety goggles.

bolt down a vice to the table of the drill press. bolt it down very good.

make sure the table is very tight. put the arbor in the vice.

Turn on the power and slowly move the drill head to the arbor.

Go REAL SLOW. When it finally grabs, turn it off quick.

Boy we're havin' FUN Now!

So got my nice 5 1/4" hole saw in da' mail.

Bolted 'er up and let her rip! Literally.

Then the Chuck dropped off, new problem as it were...

So the arbor, I guess that's what it's called, is tapered on both ends. Never seen one before, so I'm in a learnin' phase here.

My first problem was the arbor was dropping out of the quill. Froze the arbor last night for about 3 hours. Then pressed it together and tried it today. Now the chuck drops off, most likely becasue of the freeze job from last night!

Today, Chuck goes in the oven at 400 degrees fro maybe 30 mins and press back on the arbor and let cool.

I cleaned the arbor and chuck real well with carb cleaner. If felt light it had a thin layer of Cosmoline on both surfaces.

This is slowing down my hole cuttin'!

p.s. no takin' it back. A Craigslist special! Looks like it has never been used, and I would be happy as a clam if the pieces would quit falling off! All the surfaces look perfect on the Quill receiver, arbor, and chuck.

Yep, that's it exactly I think. Not sure about the taper sizes, but it's like that one.

Looks like the combo of heating in the Oven and the freeze cycle has worked. Been cuttin' holes this afternoon! It swung that 5 1/4" hole saw without breaking a sweat.

Any of you guys use the keyless chucks on a Larger type press? If so, do you like them?

I'm sorry. It must be me. I know that this is a serious DIY thread, but the title keeps coming up under New Posts. And for the life of me "Drill Press Spindle keeps falling out" sounds like the lead in for a Joke. So where is the freaking Punchline? Please, someone come up with a punchline.

Sorry for thread crapping.

Yep, that's it exactly I think. Not sure about the taper sizes, but it's like that one.

I would bet it is just one taper with a groove in it.

From the link:

Long end: MT #2, Short end: J.T. #2.

chopped.jpg

(the chuck is mounted on the short end)

not sure how I would get a chuck off.

Depends on the chuck.

Open it all of the way up and see if you can spot an allen head screw in it.

Or (given the whole it keeps falling out thing) it may be a good idea to just snag one from eBay?

1/2" KEYLESS DRILL CHUCK NEW W/ # 2 MORSE TAPER SHANK - eBay (item 180485669423 end time Aug-21-10 15:27:25 PDT)

No set screw. Just machine taper fit. I was looking over Enco tools site and they have a fork for it.

My arbor is a MT3 - JT4 and the chuck is a 3/4" chuck

Is there a big difference in good quality arbors and chucks like this Albrecht for instance:

Enco - Guaranteed Lowest Prices on Machinery, Tools and Shop Supplies

This is a smaller overall chuck but goes down to a smaller minimum.